Axles and Balance

I have a utility trailer , 5X8 with an expanded metal deck . This trailer tilts , as it was designed as primarily an ATV hauler , and the axle is centered under the box . This causes problems with low tongue weight and stability at highway speeds when I load the Harley up in it . I want to move the axle back enough to stabilize it at highway speeds with the weight more or less centered in the box . I don't care if I lose the tilt feature , I'm not using it anyway . I prefer 2X lumber ramps . My question is , how far do I move the axle ? Do I want a 60/40 split on distance ? 55/45 ? ISTR that the ideal tongue weight is 10% of total weight , which would indicate 55/45 . But I'm not sure , and this isn't something I can easily try different configurations . I'd like to be ready to roll by monday am , the wife and I have been talking about splitting to the land (Ozarks , wooded , no TV, no telephone) for a few daze .

For those who care - the welds will be made with the tombstone and 6013 rod . The trailer frame is mild steel angle iron , I see no need for 7018 . Test coupons of the closest material I have on hand will be welded and cut/tested before I weld the actual trailer . Hmm , I might be able to add alternate spring mounts and leave the originals in place . I'd be able to restore the original config if needed that way .

Reply to
Snag

You want 60/40, or 55/45 by weight, not length.

I know it'd be a bitch, but I don't know how much -- have you tried just putting the Harley on backwards and going for a drive? If nothing else, it'll give you an idea of the weight distribution.

I'd go find a feed store or other operation with a scale, and weigh the front and back of the bike. This would tell me the weight distribution of the bike (which should be at least somewhat heavier in back, and lots more if it has a good amount of rake to it). Then I'd figure out just where the axle needed to be to get the weights right.

Reply to
Tim

Alternately, cut the front "fence" and lay some U-channel so you can move the front wheel forward onto the tongue. Might be easier, and retain the current configuration for other duties.

Reply to
Rex

I was looking it over earlier today with an eye to doing just that . There's a cross support just behind the axle , right where the axle would need to be if I moved it . I'll lose the tilt function , but I doubt I'll ever use it - this trailer was bought for the primary purpose of hauling bikes . I'll definitely need to do some bracing to maintain structural integrity and rigidity across the front . Time to go dig thru my "supply depot" out behind the shed ! -- Snag Learning keeps you young !

Reply to
Snag

At least you have a supply depot behind the shed.

I have to BUY scraps for my trailer project!

Richard

Reply to
Richard

I'd go for the simple and easy solution. Put the bike on the trailer and add ballast to the front of the trailer.

Reply to
Jim Levie

Pretty much what I decided after considering all my options . Big cooler , a toolbox , suitcases , etc will be enough to give me 10% tongue load . I considered notching the top rail to let the bike roll forward some , but couldn't figger a way to reinforce that area . Major structural integrity problem , IMO .

Reply to
Snag