Expanded metal

Before I go chasing all over town looking for something that may not exist, I thought I would ask here:

I looking for a couple of sheets of expanded metal, perforated sheet, grating, or whatever you want to call it. Thickness should be about 18 ga, but anywhere near that would be OK. The problem is the sheet size: I need one piece to be 51" by

61". The last I looked, there is no way to get that out of a 4' x 8' sheet. Is this readily available in larger sheets? I'm in Los Angeles.

Thanks, Alan

Reply to
Alan Frisbie

RoyJ

Sounds like metal plasterer's lath.

Reply to
John Ings

Expanded metal is more like tread material.

Reply to
Tony

Fantastic! Now that I know I'm not chasing ghosts, I'll run up to Industrial Metal Supply in Burbank today and see what styles they have. The trick will be getting it home. :-) I figure that I'll need two sheets.

I'm building a fence and gate (a good project to practice welding on). After seeing it, my wife decided that it was a bit too "open" and asked for something with more privacy. The next day she saw one with the entire gate covered with expanded metal and said, "Like that".

Alan

Reply to
Alan Frisbie

Alan Frisbie wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@Flying-Disk.com:

McNichols has an incredible variety of metal with holes.

When building a gate, be aware of the percent of open area and what that can do to wind loads. Too little open area and a strong wind can really cause problems.

As I found out, welding a thin mesh to a frame is not easy. I would not consider it something to start with.

Terry B

Reply to
Your name

Alan

is the place to go, they have a LA warehouse.

Reply to
Bob Powell

Wow, and they have a location in Los Angeles! I think I need to pay them a visit. Thanks for the info.

Good point. Fortunately this fence is in an area shielded from the wind, between my house and my neighbor's. The idea is to keep casual passers-by from getting too good a view of our side yard (ie. hiding the trash cans, etc.).

I was thinking of practicing TIG with that. I've got a Thermal Dynamics inverter unit that I am trying to learn to use. It is really nice, and I've gotten pretty good on heavier stuff, so this will be more of a challange.

It has some advanced features, such as a pulser and slope, that the manual doesn't really explain and my welding books don't cover either. It is really small and lightweight compared to the ones I learned on at school, and I haven't tried to explore its limits yet. I have enough trouble with my own limits. :-)

Alan

Reply to
Alan Frisbie

The 2 houses just focus the wind. Get in the opening sometime when the wind is up.

Reply to
Clif Holland

I have. The wind here blows parallel to where the fence will be. However, I am still going to take the advice and get the largest open mesh that looks acceptable. According to the McNichols' web site, that looks like 74% open area.

Alan

Reply to
Alan Frisbie