Expanded metal

--Spent yesterday welding up a tray that will hold 3: 5 gallon propane bottles on the roof of a hearse (bwahaha). The final bit was to weld expanded metal to the framework, something I've had dreadful luck doing successfully in the past. But I think I got it right! Gotta say it's easier with the Maxstar than it was with the Econotig, heh. I've made the welds in pairs, every 6" or so, on the theory that one may fail under extreme conditions but another tack next to it may be sufficient reinforcement.

Reply to
steamer

I have found welding up expanded metal to be really easy with MIG. I just set up the machine to weld sheet metal, and start the arc on the base metal near one of the apexes of an opening, and let it fill the end of the opening until the puddle is as deep as the sheet metal. I weld about every 4", which goes fast.

Grant

Reply to
Grant Erwin

Like Grant said, its usually done with MIG. Just glorified tacks on the low spots, really. Sand your sharp edges, as they like to grab clothing and skin.

I have to weld up crazy stuff all the time. Why propane on a hearse?

Reply to
John L. Weatherly

Speaking of expanded metal, it is often possible to shear the stuff so that the shear line goes right through a joined part so you get no "whiskers" sticking off. Only if you're doing a rectangular piece, however. If you're making something like BBQ cooking grates, though, it's worth planning the project so the expanded metal comes out like this. Very neat and tidy looking and much safer.

Grant

Reply to
Grant Erwin

Thank you for stealing my thunder. Yes, you get to weld on the fattest part there. Start your puddle on the base metal, like a poster said before, and let the puddle build up to flow to the expanded metal tab, or wash it over there with a hand motion. Comes out to cover up all those little sharp points.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB