Where is everyone?

I'm not seeing a lot of trolls at the moment.

However, I'm not used to welding vertically. Using the regular setting for ESAB 7100 Ultra, I was getting my puddle dropping to the floor occasionally. I went ahead cut the wire feed by about 1/3rd, and that seemed to help some, but it would still drop. Should I increase/decrease the feed or the voltage? I'm doing a triangle weave and welding upwards.

Todd

Reply to
Todd Rich

710 ultra is my favorite dual shield wire. You left out he wire size. For 1/16" wire the magic numbers are 23 volts, 200 amps.
Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

--Welding my ass off, so to speak! 2 months until Burning Man and I'm part of a team rebuilding/building a slew of mutant transportation! Some deets here, but no evidence of welding there yet:

steamer

Ernie Leimkuhler wrote: (snip)

.045" wire. Sorry. Todd

Reply to
Todd Rich

Don't let the bastards win. This is a good newsgroup with lots of knowledgeable people.

Ignore trolls, and do not respond to them. That is the most effective way of keeping the NG clean.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

I'm here -- but don't post much. Lots of 'stuff' not related to welding going on. I do enjoy (and learn from) yours and others.

Thanks. John

Reply to
John Miller

Don't forget that it's Summertime and the kids/grandkids are loose.

It's also that time of the year for fixing the things that farmers break.

Reply to
RAM³

I figured, rightly so and normal, that the doers would be out there doing, and somewhat ignoring the political and social prattlers. I, too have been busy doing some stuff, but facing a lot of personal and medical problems. Some on the event horizon this week, and in the next three weeks. Getting hot here, and that takes the wind out of the sails, too. Maybe I'll get those awnings made that I can sit at the walking foot inside the house and fabricate.

There's another metalworking group I frequent, and it's up to its usual 50% bullshit level. Just was saddened to see this one go inactive and hoping it wasn't due to the same lifeless individuals that mess up other groups.

Carry on.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

We had a guy quit a few weeks back, I said I cover until we got someone new in place. For some extra green backs of course!! Even better was that the guy was in charge of some things I griped about, I get to do it my way and get paid for it. My idea of housecleaning needs a crew of riggers for a full day plus a 4500# capacity crane to get stuff out of the lower level.

Reply to
RoyJ

Thank you for the compliment. I've been welding a long time now, and just wish I knew as much as I think I do.

Steve ;-)

Reply to
SteveB

Dang. Wish I lived close to you, I'd probably haul some away and pay you. Got a forty foot container being delivered in the morning. Said I wasn't going to do it, wasn't going to get big again.

Yeah, right. I can't drive by a trash can or building site or dump heap without picking something up.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

Where did you finally wind up?

Gunner

Reply to
Gunner

Yep, that's the sickness...

Reply to
John L. Weatherly

Still here. Trailer repair season of the boat and equipment variety. Everybody's problem is an emergency. I'm trying to post more to try and pay back for the info that I have gleaned from this group. I can ignore the BS.

Reply to
John L. Weatherly

Sure!! Ya need a 28 ton (capacity) injection molder with ancient relay logic where the contacts get oxidized and it hangs in mid cycle? Or an Acupath vertical mill with a trashed X axis ball screw? (If you know where to buy parts for that miserable piece of junk, let me know!) Or a

4' dead center bed that has been used once in the last 7 years (used it to show someone how to use it)?

I've got a Haas turning center with very low hours that actually has some value. I can sell that, it should pay for the rigging expenses for all the rest of the junk, pay for reorganizing the remaining space, and pay the electrician to rewire at least one machine. Seems that my bussduct is in the wrong place, they won't let me drape the drop cord to the new location for a Haas TL-1

All of this is located >> We had a guy quit a few weeks back, I said I cover until we got someone

Reply to
RoyJ

Possibly, at least my work might be. We are looking into reprocessing our scrap in house. An extruder is one of the key pieces we lack...

Please shoot me an email, reply-to address is valid as is.

Reply to
William Bagwell

This is getting scary.

Steve ;-)

Reply to
SteveB

Gentlemen: I've always been more of a listener than a talker but I am still here. I was away for awhile, but am back. I used to read every night but not so much now. Real nice to see Ernie is still here schooling us. Anyone hear what Randy Z or Mike G are up to? This place was a great wealth of information when I was getting started in the trade. It sure isn't as active as I remember it, but it is still entertaining and informive.

Drew

I may have made a little mistake the first time I posted my reply. Steve (?)

Reply to
Drew McEachren

OK more like 21 volts, and 165 amps for 0.045" wire.

Still my favorite.

I like the 0.035" version for assembling architectural pieces like stair cases. It makes really clean welds on 3/16" to 1/4" steel.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

Not sure about Randy. Mike Graham kind of got hounded off by an ex-girlfriend / cyberstalker. As of the last email I got, he is now doing photography professionally in Canada.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler