Expanded Metal

Has anyone modeled up any expanded metal? What would be a good way of doing this? I have a guard with an L-shaped cutout in it that has expanded metal welded into it.

Thanks,

Relz

Reply to
Relz

If it must be modeled (can't just show a sketch, or apply a texture), keep it as simple as possible. Find the simplest repeating pattern in the expanded metal and model that first. Use very simple extrusions and don't try to capture the details of the shape. Make a small pattern of that, then a pattern of that pattern, and so on until you have enough of the material. Try to avoid merging bodies if possible. Make a simplified config that is just a sheet for use while modeling your assembly.

The problem with modeling expanded metal is that the necessary patterns generate massive numbers of faces, edges, etc. If you merge bodies, SW has to calculate how to merge all of that. The internals of doing that seem to increase exponentially with the size of pattern. That's why I suggest making patterns of patterns. If you try to make a large sheet of expanded metal in one pattern, be sure you first know how to kill SW from the task manager.

I've only tried this once, so there may be more to know about it. If you find any improvements, I'd be curious to hear about it.

Reply to
Dale Dunn

I have a part template made for a variety of expanded metal patterns. Generally if the part isn't too big and the pattern is large enough, I will model it complete. However, if doing all of it will drag my system down too much, I only actually cut a small portion of it and then use transparency to simulate the bulk of it. Let me know if you want a copy of the template.

WT

Reply to
Wayne Tiffany

see post March 11 with subject "WIRE MESH GUARDS"

Reply to
Keith Streich

I saw your point that an actual model of expanded metal would be quite a memory hog. I created an unmerged solid in the L-shaped cutout where the expanded metal would go. Then I applied a texture (Grid 8) to that feature to simulate the expanded metal. I think that will suffice. Would there be a way to have that feature somewhat transparent?

Thanks for your guys' input.

Relz

Reply to
Relz

Not that I'm aware of.

Reply to
Dale Dunn

Textures will not plot. You can change the transparency of the object though. I believe Photoworks accepts this combination.

Reply to
Keith Streich