Crossbow Plans?

Anybody know of a site on the net that shows how to build a crossbow?

Reply to
Mike

If you pick up a book called "The Crossbow" by Sir Ralph Payne Galway it gives complete instructions and plans for making several different kinds of crossbows. The book dates from 1905, but Barnes and Nobles did a reprint a few years back. I picked up a hardback edition in their discount section for $10.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

I have one, but I'd suggest you look for Wammo or crossbow design...

this says Canada only buyers - take names search local.

Good luck.

Martin

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

google "make a crossbow" and you will find a lot of info on the net.

Gunner

Liberals - Cosmopolitan critics, men who are the friends of every country save their own. Benjamin Disraeli

Reply to
Gunner

On Tue, 12 Oct 2004 06:49:42 GMT, Gunner calmly ranted:

Does anyone have the 1940 Popular Mechanix article on making one from an auto leaf spring? I saw reference to it here:

-------------------------------------- PESSIMIST: An optimist with experience --------------------------------------------

- Web Database Development

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Gunner, just curious, how is the adapter project coming along?

Ignoramus4133

Ive blanked out 3 of them. And thats where its at at the moment. Ive been a tad bit busy with the moving machinery and getting ready for the Show, by fixing and cleaning up Stuff.

Ill have them done by Sunday next. Im making 3 of them with different port diameters for you to try out.

Gunner

Liberals - Cosmopolitan critics, men who are the friends of every country save their own. Benjamin Disraeli

Reply to
Gunner

Ah, that's so great, thanks. I hope that you do not mind me asking how it is going.

Ignoramus4133

I don't know about on the web, but Mother Earth News published plans for one some years back. This was a more modern version with a stock cut from aluminum plate, not a "traditional" crossbow. I think it used a purchased bow, IIRC. Plans may still be available someplace. I may still have the magazine here "somewhere".

Somewhere around here I also have one of the Popular Mechanics collection books that has plans for a crossbow that uses a section of a small car leaf spring for a bow. Always wanted to build one of those. Maybe one day...

Reply to
Al A.

This guy has a super reputation in the Middle Ages Renactment groups (SCA) for having safe well made prods.

He has a set of plans for building a crossbow using his products.

I build replica crossbows for use in the SCA enviroment and use his prods.

Hugh

Reply to
Hugh Prescott

It was reprinted on one of Science and Mechanics project books -- which I happen to have. Unfortunately my scanner is toast so I don't have any way of posting it.

Those Science and Mechanics project books were wonderful. Everything from building your own wind tunnel to butchering a 1938 Ford coupe into something that looked like a sports car. I wish I could get a complete set of them -- or better yet that someone would post the whole lot of them on the Web.

--RC

Reply to
rcook5

Jus posted this one to the dropbox.

for PMAug51Crossbow.pdf

Hope you enjoy Bert Newfoundland

Reply to
Bert and Eileen Plank

I'd never seen that one before. The article I've got uses (IIRC) the stock from a 1903 Springfield, suitably cut down. It looks like the crossbow would be fairly powerful.

(BTW: At one point I did some research on who owns the stuff that appeared in Science and Mechanics. I believe it's a company that now specializes in crossword puzzle books. Of course it's possible that the company just bought first North American serial rights to its articles, but given the way the magazine business was back then, I doubt it.)

--RC If I weren't interested in gardening and Ireland, I'd automatically killfile any messages mentioning 'bush' or 'Kerry'

Reply to
rcook5

On Wed, 13 Oct 2004 04:11:22 GMT, rcook5@takeout,mindspring.com calmly ranted:

My first scanner, a UMAX 300dpi job, was $600. The next was a 600dpi Astra 1600 at $100, and my latest is a Microtek 600dpi model 3630 at $40. I love it when computer parts go "commodity", don't you?

A buddy of mine gave me some of the Shopsmith books with neat projects like the rocking (swinging sling) beach chair, and I've seen the PM and PS magazines and books, but never a "Science & Mechanics" project book. Or are we talking about the same thing?

------------------------------------------- Stain and Poly are their own punishment

Comprehensive Website Design ======================================================

Reply to
Larry Jaques

On Wed, 13 Oct 2004 10:27:49 GMT, "Bert and Eileen Plank" calmly ranted:

Thanks, Bert. Darts vs. bolts/arrows, eh?

------------------------------------------- Stain and Poly are their own punishment

Comprehensive Website Design ======================================================

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Thou whilft have to take my Croffbowe from my colde, deade handf. :)

Reply to
PR

Have you tried the alt.binaries.e-book or alt.binaries.e-manuals groups? Might be worth a request.

Steve

Reply to
Steve

Having just installed a new computer, LAN, etc, -- yes, it's wonderful!

I need to get a new scanner, but not right now. First I've got to get my wife's computer on the LAN and then there's supplies to buy to start making Christmas presents and. . .

--RC If I weren't interested in gardening and Ireland, I'd automatically killfile any messages mentioning 'bush' or 'Kerry'

Reply to
rcook5

Can't hurt to ask. That's a good suggestion.

-_RC If I weren't interested in gardening and Ireland, I'd automatically killfile any messages mentioning 'bush' or 'Kerry'

Reply to
rcook5

Do a search for:

"The Crossbow Mediaeval and Modern Military and Sporting" by Sir Ralph Payne-Gallwey, Bt

Originally published c1905, this book was reprinted by Bramhall House c1958.

Perhaps available from inter-library loan, or thru used book sellers, such as abebooks.com.

JK

snipped-for-privacy@TAKEOUTm>

Reply to
John O. Kopf