Mechanical Drafting for Dummies?

Please forgive me if this post is off-topic.
I've been retasked from tech writing for a special project, creating
dimensional drawings for a metal fab shop. I have Corel Draw X3 and
Corel Draw 9 available to me, but have done no drafting since pencil/
compass/rule in junior high school shop class.
Not that I mind; I find the idea fascinating. However, I need a good
primer on the subject.
May I ask the assembled brain trust to advise on good books which
might fulfill this need, something like MECHANICAL DRAFTING FOR
DUMMIES or DIMENSIONAL TECHNICAL DRAWING FOR DUMMIES?
Many thanks.
John Bartley, author
Text Messaging (SMS) emergency FAQ
Reply to
K7AAY
Fundamentals of Engineering Drawing McGraw-Hill if it is still published
K7AAY wrote:
Reply to
ecarecar
K7AAY wrote in message ...
A few years back, Turbo Cad v2.6 was free to the public. You might still find a copy on the net. The instal program is callled TC2d_LT.exe Rather than rolling your own, TC will automatically address some of the standards used in architectural drawings. I would think that the shop needs to meet building codes. In this case you're better off getting an architect, so he/she can convert what you want into what you can actually have. bg
Reply to
bg
Thank you for the tip. However, we already have the software, I need the education in its appropriate use, such as ecarecar suggested.
In a trip to Powell's Technical Books I was lucky enough to find USN manuals which show a new bluejacket how to do this. Other low-cost/no-cost documents of this nature, especially on the web, are exactly what I'm looking for.
Please allow me to clarify. I need to create drawings for objects to be made by a metal fab shop, not to design a metal fab shop. Therefore, building codes does not apply.
Thank you for your response!
Reply to
K7AAY
K7AAY wrote in message ...
I guess I just flunked listening 101 ! bg
Reply to
bg