Requirements for employment in Nuclear Power Industry (please tell me if this question is "off topic" for this group

Ladies , and Gentlemen, I am an ISA CCST (level II) and have a question to pose to the group. Besides being a certified (for what it is worth) Instrumentation &
Control Technician, what certifications (if any) would be required (or suggested) for employment in the Nuclear Power Industry (in general)? I have had Confined Space Entry & Rescue training, as well as CPR & First Aid (both thru my local (IBEW LU 26)). I do not know if there are any industry "standards" for all Plants / Facilities. Are there any that I should endeavor (prior to applying) to obtain? For the past number of years, I have been working in the Municipal Water / Wastewater arena. Prior to this, I was employed by a manufacturer / distributor of Distributed Control, SCADA, and Data Acquisition Systems as a Field Service Technician, (primarily serving customers in the Petrochemical industry). Any help (or suggestions) you folks are willing, or able to supply would be much appreciated. Thanks so much.
On 06/14/2010 07:49 AM, Art Schreuder wrote:

Assuming that no one here answers:
Three direct ways that I can think of are to look at want ads and see what they ask for, go to the library and find a listing of jobs and what qualifications you need, and/or call up your IBEW local and see if someone there knows, or can get you in touch with someone who works in a nuclear plant.
I suspect that if there aren't industry standards there are some darn common practices.
--
Tim Wescott

A somewhat indirect path but one that many others have followed: join the Navy, get qualified as a nuc EM, send out resumes, profit!
--
Rich Webb Norfolk, VA

The first thing that comes to mind is the back ground check. You had better have been a good boy. I think you are probably qualified enough to get started on further training but you will be competing with ex naval nukes that come pre trained. Competition will be tough. The nuclear industry is a stickler for following procedures and preventive maintenance. There is little/no room for creativity ( deviation from established procedures).
I was a reactor controls officer on an nuclear submarine back in the 70s. My division was incharge of the reactor instrumentation. There was no future after three mile island.
Peter Nachtwey