If anyone still reading this group . . .

Do you model the trains of your youth?

When I got started in the 1960s a common theme was the Edwardian layout, many built by elderly gents.

The last train show I went to it was mostly 1980's outline.

Personally I have a fondness for the bucolic freight services and my interest in UK outline 'modern image' took a bit of a dive with the end of speedlink. I tried Continental and I was warming to that when the prices went silly. Next one is probably going to be a US outline, 1950s, in N. All second hand locos and stock and possibly DCC (I have the stock and only a couple of locos will be required).

Cheers

Mike

Reply to
Mike Smith

A lot of that was because pre-grouping had more colourful paint jobs.

When I first started modelling it was early BR era when there was still plenty of stuff in pre-nationalisation livery.

But it didn't take too long to realise that I didn't have room for eg a Castle pulling a realistic number of carriages, so I went to a cross-country line but even then the trains were too long. Around that time I started dabbling in O-scale and the only trains that would fit were circa 1900.

Reply to
Christopher A. Lee

A GWR 517 class 0-4-2T (the one Collet's 04-2Ts were developed from) or an 850 class 0-6-0 saddle tank plus three or four Slater's

4-wheeled passenger coaches is an accurate branch line train from that era, and is the same sort of length as a prairie tank and B-Set in OO gauge.

I have both those engines, built from Eric Underhill (later Adrian Swain's Zero Zephyr) resin cast kits - but I don't know if they are still available. You might find them on Ebay., Also a Pete Waterman

517, backdated to Wolverhampton condition, beautifully painted in the correct sea-green livery by Alan Brackenborough.

Here it is when I took it to a friend's club layout at their show in Hudson, Massachusetts - I started in O-gauge before I emigrted to the USA...

There are even photographs of one in Wolverhampton condition and livery in at Swindon itself, on a Highworth branch train, but I can't find one on the web.

Every man and his dog manufactures plastic kits for the relevant freight stock. although I have some etched brass Iron Mink vans. The Peco vans are a bit too modern for my era, although the brake van is correct, with a few minor modifictions that most people probably wouldn't notice. The earlier, smaller private owner coal wagons from Slaters are also correct - provided you buy ones for coal merchants of that era, some of them are painted for later merchants. Slater's cattle wagons are also correct.

Other suitable vehicles are available in etched brass, like the Colin Waite horse box which almost folds into shape. These are long out of production, but the kits turn up on Ebay.

Give it a whirl, and you'll be hooked. The vehicles have an inertia that smaller scales don't have.

Reply to
Christopher A. Lee