Jackson NexGen helmet won't stay up! Anyone else have this problem?

I have a Jackson NexGen EQC with the helmet that came with it. I hate the helmet with this auto-dark lens. It refuses to stay in the up positions due to the weight of the lens. I have tried replacing the plastic parts that hinge and hold the helmet in the upright position on the recommendation of my local welding suppler. This helped a little, but not enough. When I asked if Jackson had a better helmet for the NexGen my local sales guy informed me that's what I have!

So, here's my question; anyone have a helmet that works well with the NexGen lens and will stay up when place in the up position? Anyone having the same problem I have and if yes, why hasn't Jackson done something to improve this?

Thanks,

Eric D

Reply to
Eric D

Mine was a case of adjustment. I had to adjust to the helmet, as there was no amount of adjusting and tweaking the knobs that would make it work right. Then I got used to the idea that the lens goes light so you don't HAVE to be raising and lowering all the time.

I am getting better at looking through the partially darkened lens, but there's nothing like raising the hood to get a real good look at things. But it still doesn't work for me either. At times the helmet is a joy and at others a frustration.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

The Huntsman 951P is what I use with my Nexgen lens. The existing lens clamp in the hood just holds the lens and cover plate in.

You can supposedly order the Nexgen lens in a Huntsmen hood from the factory.

Huntsman and Jackson hoods are made in the same factory about 200 feet apart.

The Huntsman 951 has a positive click stop in the up position that eliminates the downward slide of the jakson shadow hood.

I had a chat with a tech guy at Jackson and he acknowledged the probelm, but it was being controlled by Marketing.

The pivot lock mechanism used on the Jackson hoods can't handl the added weight of the Nexgen lens.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

Reply to
Jim Bloomfield

Ernie & Jim,

Thanks for the info on the Huntsman helmet. I gave a call to the local welding suppler and they have the 951P in stock for $29. I plan on stopping by on my way home tonight to pick one up. Will I need to do anything special to retain the NexGen in the Huntsman?

Eric D

Reply to
Eric D

Reply to
Jamie Arnold (W)

I use a 4" piece of 1/8" aluminum filler rod under the spring to help keep the inner lens cover in place better. Otherwise too much dust gets under it. I place it under the retaining spring, across the bottom of the viewing window.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

have you tried tightening both knobs on the sides?

Reply to
Doobie

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Eric D) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com:

Mine's brand new, but no problems yet. But thanks [Ernie] for the Huntsman tip also.

Most of my helmets can be a PIA though. Using them inside/ outside in the cold, no adj always works.

Reply to
Greg M

I have that helmet (with a plain lens in it; one of these days I'll finally pry open my wallet for the NexGen) and the headgear on it is a cheap POS. Ernie suggests the 951P from Huntsman (which evidently is made by Jackson, but...), and when I get the prybay into my wallet, I'll get one of those, too. Probably from a web supplier, since my "local welding supplier" has gotten an effective territorial monopoly and feels no need whtever to move on price, on anything. They were claiming their price of $100 more than some web suppliers was a huge bargain the last time I darkened their door - they also were pushing some delightful chinese autodark crap, presumably becasue they make a buttload more markup on it.

Reply to
Ecnerwal

Ditto here.

Dittos again for a brand name helmet by a long time manufacturer.

I am going to investigate one the next time I get gas. Probably not too high without the autodark component.

About a year ago, I went to my local steel/ornamental metal/welding tools supplier and saw the NexGen EQC for $350. I know the counter man and have known him now for nearly twenty years. If I hammer him, he will always give me the best price, even though he whines he "isn't making any money at that price." He wouldn't budge on the price. I passed. I went in about a week later, and they had them on sale for $240, which was cheaper than I could get it on the Net. I asked him what was up with that, and he shrugged. I guess they just weren't moving, and that was a lot of money to have there sitting still.

Long story short, I love the EQC lens, but hate the hood since the lens is too heavy for the mechanism. But I love my other standard Jackson hood with the big lens, and it does drop correctly.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB