Auto Darkening Helmet > > >

I need a autodarkening helmet for my 120volt mig welder. Are the ones on Ebay any good? Anyone use the Lincoln autodarening helmet at HomeDepo? How does it compare to the ones on ebay? The Ebay ones are about $90 with shipping and the HomeDepo one is $139. Thanks

Reply to
rec

recwrote: I need a autodarkening helmet for my 120volt mig welder (clip) ^^^^^^^^^^^ I am prepared for the sneering, but I am having good results with the one I bought from Harbor Freight. Their prices jump all over the landscape, and I don't know how the quality varies. Another possibility is to buy an auto-darkening filter and convert a regular helmet. Welding shops sell them.

Reply to
Leo Lichtman

My Jackson NexGen EQC is an autodark in a standard Jackson helmet. I didn't realize it at the time, or I would have just bought the lens, and not ANOTHER whole helmet.

But, hey, a guy can't have too many welding helmets, right?

Treat yourself and buy the best you can afford. They protect your eyes, and that is important. The real test is how long something lasts. It ain't a deal if you are out there replacing it before long. That adds up to what a good one would have cost you in the first place. And you still have a lesser helmet.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

I agree with Steve...I also have the Jackson NexGen EQC that is about 7 years old...still works great although I would like to upgrade to the solar powered one. Maybe Santa will bring one!! Remember you only have the eyes you have now...take care of them!

Doobie

Reply to
Doobie

I remember someone here saying ................. remember, if you go blind they send you home.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

Others may have said it, but I know I did, quoting a very humorous Millwright I worked with in Kansas City in the 80's named Jerry who used that line often around youngin's that weren't as concerned with their own safety as they should have been ; ).

JTMcC.

Reply to
JTMcC

"SteveB" wrote in news:cNvFb.38724$BQ5.10613@fed1read03:

< Nnn > You gotta be practical. But I just, also realised I could afford it, bought a NexGen. The full-boat digital. What a beautiful piece of equipment.

Bragged it to a good friend who tigs aluminum alot. And he really likes the amber *cast* when in the clear state. His auto clears to a blue tint.

I first looked and bought a homeowner grade Hobart. Interesting 9- 13 knob on the outside. But testing it on a flourescent, right out of the box, showed it had a diagonal smear running diagonally on the lens.

First use for the NexGen was stick-welding a washer onto a broken bolt, underneath a Dodge 4wh, repairing the vacuum powered shifter.

And I'm suddenly a better mig welder too.

Reply to
Greg M

I poopooed autohelmets because I have been welding for 30 years and saw them as a gimmick for someone who didn't "really" know how to weld. Then I tried one, and thought why didn't I get one of these before now.

They ARE sweet.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

"SteveB" wrote in news:GlkGb.38996$BQ5.28733@fed1read03:

One other thing my buddy suggested was to change out the clear plastic for a glass.

AFA the *new* helmet buzz, the dual flip-down stops are pretty neat too, not that they're gonna get worn out though.

Jeez, I gotta get my own shop/ work area/ garage. I'm starting to recall the very first time I picked up a mig! I was a legend in my own mind.

Reply to
Greg M