Fix Jackson Autodark Helmet?

Hi All;

My Jackson EQC 3N1 Master autodark helmet's shade control knob seems to have disconnected from it's pot. The knob spins but does nothing, and has no 'feel'. Since it's just out of warranty, my only option with Jackson is to send it in for a trade in. However, at $200 US for the replacement, that's not an option at this time (even if it is a good deal).

Anyone ever attempt a repair on a similar helmet?

Reply to
Peter Snell

I had a similar problem with my Lincoln auto helmet... Out of warranty and they just shook their head in sorrow.

I happened to go to a Harbor Freight sale in Tampa and picked up on of their cheapies ($60) and decided - what the heck- for this money I can experiment...

Well, The unit has work fantastically. As good as the Lincoln unit ever worked.

Merle

Reply to
Merle Wagner

When I was having a problem with my Selstrom (which was a good year out of warranty), I called them and they sent out a new LCD unit and asked me to send back the old one after I received the new. I was very impressed.

I don't know if it is still like this as this was several years ago and the unit has preformed flawlessly since.

Ted

Reply to
Ted Edwards

What that might have been - other than being nice - was a FA experience. They want to see the failure mode(s) and make a better product.

Sometimes that happens.

Mart>

Reply to
Eastburn

Sounds like the wiper in the pot is broken. The knob is a push on with a D shape cutout to fit on the shaft. It really can't disconnect without falling off. So that means the pot itself is broken.

You'll have to pop the housing open and replace the pot. Problem is, you might damage the LCD while doing that. But since it is broken anyway, you might as well give it a try. Digikey will have a suitable replacement pot.

Gary

Reply to
Gary Coffman