Favorite Helmet

Hey gang: I've been away from the group for a while. My auto-dark (Wal-Mart Special) helmet has died a terrible death. It just doesn't seem to auto-darken to the extent it should, so I've given up on it and gone back to my standard (non-auto) helmet. I'd like to buy another auto-darkening helmet, but thought I'd ping the experience in this group to see if you have a favorite reliable brand. I've been looking at the Miller elite series, specifically the: MILLER ELITE WELDING HELMET STARS & STRIPES 216321

Any thoughts? Comments? As always, I appreciate the advice of the experienced folks here.

Joe

Reply to
Dr Insane Demento

I like my Nexgen in a Huntsman 951.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

Personally I have been using Speedglass helmets for many years, and feel they can only get better now they have been taken over by 3M..............

Ken

I have two speedlglas helmets now and can't fault them, not the cheapest but they always work, even at really low amps......which is what you want

comb

Low amp performance of my Speedglas 9002X cannot be faulted, and it has facility for adjusting delay time when doing tack welds.

Ken

By far my favorite is the Huntsman Autoview with quad sensors. I often find myself in positions that tend to block sensors on top or on botton but with a pair on top and bottom the helmet hasn't wavered on a singe weld in my memory. Along with the four sensors it has a nice big window and fits any standard large window helmet so you can pair it up with whatever helmet feels most comfortable to you. It's a bit pricey but worth every cent when it works even though you're in some weird contortion on your back with the foot pedal between your knees.

zackbass

My helmet is a miller xli i think (or xlix)

I have noth>Hey gang: I've been away from the group for a while. My auto-dark

Reply to
Brent Philion

--FWIW my favorite helmet was my Optrel. Just one catch: when the warranty runs out you're screwed; i.e. there's no recourse if the thing dies. Company's in Switzerland and a replacement lens is around $300. Aside from this little foible it's well balanced, lightweight, etc.

Reply to
steamer

Can't hurt it - put it in the sun - let it sit there tracking to the south for hours. Maybe it will cure or maybe the LCD is dying. Try the sun - it is cheap. Martin

Martin H. Eastburn @ home at Lions' Lair with our computer lionslair at consolidated dot net NRA LOH & Endowment Member NRA Second Amendment Task Force Charter Founder IHMSA and NRA Metallic Silhouette maker & member

Dr > Hey gang: I've been away from the group for a while. My auto-dark

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

Thanks for all the feedback & advice ... sun is a good idea; it sure won't hurt to try. For the last 6 months or so, I always do some test welds with the auto helmet lying close to the action while wearing a standard helmet which (prior to recently) always seemed to help "warm it up" a bit and it seemed to work better. Lately even after that routine it just stays wayyy too bright to be able to look at the puddle carefully. thus its tragic end.

Thanks again gang.

Reply to
Dr Insane Demento

I have 3 auto dark helmets.

#1 is a Jackson EQC Executive. It is by far the best one I have. It has a creeping crud growing in the LCD, but so far the crud hasn't got in the way with my where I'm trying to look.

#2 Is a Harbor Freight model, purchased on sale for $49.95. The first one stopped switching, so I took it back for a replacement. I noticed yesterday the replacement doesn't switch anymore either. The warranty is long over so it is junk. It has far less than one hour use.

#3 is a Miller. I bought it at a garage sale. It doesn't have a replaceable battery and I think the battery is about gone. It doesn't get dark enough for welding, but it works really great for plasma cutting.

The Jackson was by far the most expensive to buy, cash out of pocket. It is, however, by far the cheapest helmet I have for hours used / $$$ paid. I have used the Jackson for about 7-8 years and I haven't had any trouble except for the creeping crud growing in the LCD. One day the crud will get in my way and I'll have to replace the unit. I'm sure I'll get another Jackson.

John

Reply to
jw

Take it back to Harbor Freight..and tell em its a deader..they seldom bother looking up warranty info and stuff..they generally simply give you another one.

Gunner

"The importance of morality is that people behave themselves even if nobody's watching. There are not enough cops and laws to replace personal morality as a means to produce a civilized society. Indeed, the police and criminal justice system are the last desperate line of defense for a civilized society. Unfortunately, too many of us see police, laws and the criminal justice system as society's first line of defense." --Walter Williams

Reply to
Gunner

Same one I have. Really nice. Amazingly clear in non-dark mode to see what you are doing without needing to do the leap-of-faith down nod for a conventional helmet.

Reply to
xray

You may be right, but the El Paso store sure looked close when I took the first one back. And it's 100 miles down there, so I don't go so often. I may try, or just give it up. Thanks for the idea....

John

Reply to
jw