My favorite hack saw

I have a Lennox:

With a Starrett bi-metal blade:
I tighten the blade up and tap it with my fingernail listening to the tone until it is one semi-tone above middle C.

It takes me 10 minutes to cut through 1.5" steel round stock the first time, and 20 minutes on the second [by then I am tired].

Reply to
Clark Magnuson

Make that "Lenox" ..

Do you really have absolute pitch? I'd have killed for that once upon a time .. if you had a microphone you could run the signal into a frequency counter. Correct tension is correct tension no matter whether it's on a bandsaw or hacksaw blade, but of course the note will vary with the length of your blade.

I've been considering taking short pieces of bandsaw blade stock and trying to punch the ends to make hacksaw blades. Not because I'm out of hacksaw blades or anything, mostly just to see if I can do it.

I always wanted a great hacksaw but I always thought there would be a great cosmic synchronicity if it were made by Armstrong .. :-)

Grant

Reply to
Grant Erwin

I just recently made a blade to fit a hacksaw frame from band saw stock. I used a Whitney punch to make the holes. I don't recomend this as a regular practice unless you devote one set of P&D to this job. When I was young my father had a general store in Montana. One of the things we did was re blade meat saws [extra long hacksaws]. We had a tool that was a screw punch that we turned with a regular punch from the hardware dept.

Chuck P.

Reply to
MOP CAP

While doing research for that post, I walked past the piano with the hack saw. I am nearly tone deaf, but I can tune a guitar to a piano.

Reply to
Clark Magnuson

We've had this conversation before, haven't we. I can only assume that you also demand that they teach about the Easter bunny and the Great Pumpkin. I see no difference.

Harold

Reply to
Harold and Susan Vordos

Not so Harold. The Easter bunny and the Great Pumpkin don't demand obsequious adoration and utter servility.

-- Jeff R. (do they?)

Reply to
Jeff R

Now you tell me, long after I have dedicated the vast majority of my time on the Great Pumpkin. :-)

Harold

Reply to
Harold and Susan Vordos

Well, being Australian, I can't vouch for the oh-so-American Great Pumpkin. I wouldn't have heard of him (it?) if it weren't for "Peanuts".

-- Jeff R. (vale Charles Schultz)

Reply to
Jeff R

My source, as well. What? You saying he's not real? Can that be?

Harold

Reply to
Harold and Susan Vordos

I always figured perfect pitch would be an obvious advantage. The choir I used to sing with in Colorado gained a member with perfect pitch. When we came to a piece that worked better transposed up or down a key, she couldn't sing it--wasn't what was on her music. I had never realized it could be a liability as well.

Steve

Reply to
Steve Smith

Dude, you need a 4x7 horizontal band saw! Unless this all is in lieu of Bally's or sumpn.... Which ackshooly is not a bad idea!

That woud be C-sharp. Or D-flat. Try D, see what you think--might shave 30 secs offa yer time... Check it w/ a 440 A pitch pipe.

I thought Accidental Creation WAS fact--dudnit explain most of childbirth? At least in teenagers....

---------------------------- Mr. P.V.'d formerly Droll Troll

Reply to
Proctologically Violated©®