What does the arrow mean on my blade for power hack saw

I wonder if I installed the saw blade in the wrong direction. It does have an arrow on the blade. What direction is that arrow suppose to point on this power hack saw.....Peter

Reply to
PeterM

Is it a reciprocating power hacksaw, or a bandsaw, and does it have a make and model number? For the following bandsaw,

the bit of blade visible in the picture moves left to right; set the blade so the teeth dig in as it moves: \|\|\| -->

If the teeth seem to be backwards, turn the band inside out.

For reciprocating hacksaws, the ones I've seen cut on the push stroke, lifting the saw a little on the return, IIRC.

Reply to
James Waldby

Reply to
PeterM

OTOH the power hacksaw in the shop at school cuts on the forward stroke. Some careful observation should reveal which way your machine is meant to work.

Errol Groff

Reply to
Errol Groff

On the power hacksaws that I've seen, which is only a few, the blade is raised for the return stroke so the blade teeth aren't dragged backwards cross the workpiece.

If your saw has this motion where the blade kicks up for the return stroke, the arrow should be pointing in the opposite direction of the return stroke.

The arrow on the blade should indicate the direction which the cutting action takes place.

Testing the cutting action can be done with a piece of wood without harming the blade.

Reply to
Wild_Bill