Starrett Digitape

My parents gave me a Starrett Digitape (tape measure with digital readout) for Christmas.

First thing I did when I took it out of the package was pull the tape out about 12 inches.... and it displayed 5 inches.

I tried again, but slower. Same thing.

I'm hoping it is just a dead battery, but I haven't gotten out yet to buy a replacement 1/3 N cell battery.

Please tell me these things aren't junk.

Thanks,

Dave

Reply to
David A. Webb

You'll be in a better position to tell us once you've changed the battery.

Reply to
Jim Stewart

Why don't you call them and ask. 978-249-3551

Abrasha

Abrasha

Dave:

I've run through two of these. The current one sits on the board (when I remember). I don't remember when the battery died. I hardly ever felt the DRO was worthwhile. Both of mine were fairly accurate, certainly enough for tape measure use.

I do like it.

My favorite 1/2" rule is my Lufkin, with green? tape. Then the Starrett.

I was told once that Starrett made the tapes for Craftsman. That came up when I couldn't tell any difference between the two - anywhere, with the exception of the case.

Reply to
John Hofstad-Parkhill

David A. Webb wrote: (clip) I'm hoping it is just a dead battery, (clip) ^^^^^^^^^^^ Two things I would try: 1.) Take out the battery, and put it back. 2.) Look in the box to see whether it came with instructions. I'll bet there is a zero adjustment that you have not found.

Reply to
Leo Lichtman

You do realize that the display reading is for inside measurements, I presume?

John Martin

Reply to
JMartin957

He was using it inside. :-)

Reply to
Neil Ellwood

I think that's the model I take when I go lumber shopping. "No way that's 10 board feet! This board's only 5 inches wide and 10 feet long!"

Reply to
Hitch

don't they make a tape suitable for outdoor use?

Reply to
Jon Grimm