Recommendations for Plane #2?

I wrote off my Firebird XL the other night. Lost controls (RF interference?), no throttle, no rudder (ruddervator?), just straight down into the sun baked clay field from about 60'. Glue and tape isn't going to do it this time.

Now I need a new a/c. Any suggestions?

I am not an experienced RC pilot at all - I'm not ready for superspeed acrobatics. I have a little bit of dual time in a 1:1 Cessna, a fair bit of MSFS time and maybe 10 flights with the Firebird. I found the throttle/rudder controls on the Firebird somewhat unnatural (kept looking for pitch and roll control that wasn't there).

In a perfect world, plane #2 would need less room than the Firebird - you can't get access to a soccer field or baseball diamond around here except at midnight. Hand launch is probably a good idea.

I've built lots of models, so kit or arf isn't an issue.

Thanks, Chris

Reply to
Chris

SLOW STICK.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

... if you have enough mornings/evenings with ZERO wind.

Reply to
Jennifer Smith

GWS Slowstick.

If you are going to stick with the hobby, get at least a 4 channel radio system. I believe the Slow Sticks are available with an "Everything Included" type of package which would include the plane, radio gear both transmitter and receiver, flight battery, servos, etc. Best thing about the Slow Stick (other than UPGRADES!) is if you crash the sucker you can usually tape or epoxy it back together. The aluminum fuse is the weakest spot but you can buy those pretty cheap. You can also buy new motors, entire motor/gearsets and other replacement parts online fairly easily. Of course, the entire plane w/motor usually costs about $35 USD. Practically everyone at my field has a Slow Stick, even us 3D guys. You could probably fly one in a front yard or out in the street but I dont think I would recommend that. I highly recommend one for a second plane.

Reply to
Fubar of The HillPeople

True they dont like wind but a light breeze isnt a problem. I fly one using a stock 350 motor/gearbox, 1180 prop and using a 2050mAh 2cell Lipo pack. Only other mods were to cut the wing tips off to what would be the outermost bay and trim the stabilizer down to a triangle shape. After I got that tail chewed off during a dogfight I put on a 2mm coroplast tailgroup that I happend to have purchased a couple years ago and never used. My neck usually gives out before the lipo.

Reply to
Fubar of The HillPeople

FYI, they now come with a fiberglass fuselage that is MUCH stronger, although a touch heavier. If you do get one, there are several companies selling add ons and conversion kits that'll make it either aerobatic, gliderlike, or even an AutoGyro (no wings, two unpowered rotor blades). It's a lot more versatile than your average beginners plane. It's also a blast to night fly with glow wire oulining the wing and fuse....

PCPhill

Reply to
PCPhill

The last 2 slow sticks I bought had fiberglass stick fuselages. I can recommend this plane. mk

You can also buy new

Reply to
MJKolodziej

"Chris" > wrote

Lazy Bee ! They are a blast, and very slow and forgiving.

It will handle the wind, too, but only 3 channel. (no ailerons; the rudder makes it turn and bank automatically) That might be good to help you unlearn the full sized bad habits!

Most full sized pilots say that RC is much harder. Having the turn and elevator on the same stick would probably be a good thing for you.

Reply to
Morgans

Hi Chris, Another recommendation for the Slow Stick!

Reply to
Ed Forsythe

If you decide to go with a "Bee", DO NOT GET AN ARF !!! The ARFs are the biggest piece of sh*t I have ever seen. Get a kit or some plans and scratch build one.

Reply to
Ted Campanelli

Yeah, like coordinating aileron and rudder .

Reply to
Ed Forsythe

Reply to
Chris