GP Giles G202 as 2nd plane?

Hi,

I've posted some messages before regarding choices for a second plane (SIG 4

  • 60 and GP Ultra Sport 60+). Now I'm wondering whether the GP Giles G202 is suitable, the website says with a .46 two-stroke it can be used as a 2nd plane.

Anyone agrees or disagrees from experience?

Thanks again.

Eric

Reply to
Eric Wong

If you are a natural at flying, it is doable. If you have the least bit of difficulty with a basic trainer, then I do not think it to be a good idea.

The G-202 goes precisely where you point it, unless it happens to stall, then all bets are off.

Are you good with the Real Flight simulator? Are you used to flying your model right to the ground, instead of trying to float it in at just above a stall? Are you ready for a model that will disappear from sight rapidly should you not begin to turn nearly as soon as you finished the last turn while flying at full throttle?

I'm not trying to scare you, but what's the hurry? The journey is always the best part. Take your time and enjoy it. Why not try a Big Stick, or something similar? It will do nearly all of the standard aerobatics and is a pussycat to land, while being more than a little bit neutral in stability. Just a thought.

Ed Cregger

Reply to
Ed Cregger

Eric,

Listen to Ed's advice. The G202 would be a big step up from a trainer in speed and a big step down in stability. Landing a little too fast will rip the landing gear off or cause a destructive cartwheel. Get it a little too slow on approach and it will drop a wing and go straight in.

My advice would be to stick to a plane with a constant chord (no taper) wing. Such wings don't lend themselves to the violent snap rolls and tumbling aerobatics, but have much gentler stall characteristics. Look for something big and light. The stick type planes are a good choice, but if they are too ugly, then try something like a Sig Four Star, Lanier Stinger or GP Super Sportster.

Reply to
mike tully

Eric, Get yourself a 40 sized big stick, knock the dihedral out of the wing, put a good 46 on it and speed up the controls a bit as you progress in your abilities. I have been flying one like this for several years as my main plane and it is a hoot. Can do all the standard aerobatics, lands like a pussy cat, and impresses the hell out of the old guys at the field. They look boring on the ground but sticks are a kick in the arse to fly. Just be sure to build the wing flat on the board, or if it is an ARF then do what you can to build the wing flat. As usual your milage may very.

Tom Wales AMA 435536 The flying Saxman!

Reply to
Tom Wales

A friend did just what you are thinking about............4 crashes and 2 Giles 202 kits later.......nuf said

Get a stick......they are great.

Craig

Reply to
Craig Trickett

That plane is NOT forgiving. Get it too slow and it will fall out of the sky HARD, sometimes level and sometimes one wing down first. Hit hard going too fast and the landing gear gets sheared off. Now that one can be real interesting. If you have hard mounted the LG as the plans call for, you MIGHT break the 1/4 AC Ply bearers that tie the firewall to F1. That just about guts the lower end of the airframe. Guess how *I* know. I gave the hulk away.

Take your trainer and cut the wing at the center section and reassemble it FLAT and wrap it with 6 ounce glass cloth set with epoxy. Double all your throws and go flying some more. That is cheap and will be a blast AND will prepare you for your next trick.

Jim Branaum AMA 1428

Six_O'clock_High Target snipped-for-privacy@Guns.com

Reply to
Six_O'Clock_High

As others have advised get a stick type plane, a good kit to get is a Doghouse Extreme, very light wing loading and you can put a .91 4 stroke for unlimited performance.

Reply to
John Deering

Reply to
Six_O'Clock_High