Great Planes Ultra Sport 40

G'day,

Is the Great Planes Ultra Sport 40 a good second plane for someone who's mastered their trainer? I like look & style of it but don't know whether it will be too much of a handful for an intermediate flyer.

I saw its ad in the mags and it reckons its suitable for someone who's after an aerobatic second plane, don't know whether its true or they're just trying to do the push their product.

At the moment I'm tossing up between that or the Sig 4 star 60 which I've heard a lot of good things about.

Thanks,

Eric

Reply to
Eric Wong

BTW, I meant Ultra Sport 60 +

Reply to
Eric Wong

Eric,

The Ultra Sport series are all solid flying aircraft.

I've had the .60 size with an OS .91 4 stroke for years and it's definitely my favorite. I don't believe the .60 size is available any longer, just the .40 ARF and kit.

Just set up the control throws as per the book, and you can't go wrong.

Good Luck,

Jack

Reply to
Jack W. Fessler, Jr.

G'day John,

Are you talking about the Ultra sport 40 + or the plain 40? I suppose they fly pretty much the same.

I've had a long hard think and have decided that I will probably go for the Sig 4 star 60, heaps of rave reviews/comments and looks pretty good as an intermediate plane. I think the 4 star 60 will be easier to build for someone who's making a transition from ARF to built-up kits. Plus I can upgrade to a .90 4-stroke which should see my through the next few models in my long-term plan (P-51, P-47, Spitfire etc. I have a fetish for warbirds).

It's pretty cold in the land of Oz at the moment so what better way to spend my weeknights building my next model. Weekends has been miserable with rain & wind but it doesn't seem to stop people from my club (including myself) flying.

Regards,

Eric

Reply to
Eric Wong

Eric, All my actual exprience is with the older ultrasport 40's. Not the current + models. I'd still be flying mine with a Saito .65 if a newbie had not shot me down. I have 3 of them "in stash", so some day, I'll build another, and another, and another. :)

The older kits had planks on the turtledeck and nose that had to be carved and sanded to shape, but was otherwise pretty straightforward. Great pattern plan, placed in the top 2 in novice class in 3 contests one year.

The 4 star's are good choices too. I built 2 40's, but my only advice is to beef up that landing gear block with tri-stock and glass cloth. I don't know if the 60's have this problem, but my 40 gear block would pop out relatively easy until I glassed it in.

John

Reply to
John Thompson

A US 60 is a good 3rd model.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Adkins

One of the rules I was taught was to buy planes that I knew had good flying characteristics. One of our clubs top fliers flew a US60 as his regular workout plane.And he flew it unbelievbably well. So when I saw one at the LHS, I bought it. Been flying it for about 6 mos to a year or so. Great flying plane. Makes me look like better pilot than I am. Good luck, let us all know what you get. happy 4th!, Andy

We can make a box of wood.....FLY!!

Reply to
RCPILOT48

I had one a couple of years ago and it was a great plane, flew like a dream and never gave me any problems. I wouldn't think you'd have a problem if you can fly a trainer competently, just don't go too overboard too fast.

Reply to
Brian Henderson