What did YOU train on? and why? what didu like best...?

Hi gang I trained on(and still are) the ready 2 with out the floats I bought them but cant use them anywhere round here(LI NY) I love the plane it flys well and is quite durable Some might not think that it is really a trainer, but i did not want to go the avistar route.. believe it or not after i learn to fly I might buy one because i like them so much ...After i learn the ready I have an... hangar 9 cherokee greatplanes cessna 182 greatplanesLANCAIR

Gig

Reply to
GaijinGig

Xtra Easy with a MDS40 to start with and was planning on my second plane and installed a OS46 into the Xtra. Second Plane was a Tower Voyager Mark 1 with the OS46(first crash) May it RIP. Third plane is a World Model T-34 with a TT46 Fourth Plane is a Model Tech Dragon Lady 60 ARF with a Saito 100. John

Reply to
John Graham
1) Duraplane w/Magnum .40 2) GP EasySport w/OS .46FX 3) Kyosho Concept 30 SR-X heli 4) Sig Fazer w/ OS .40 FS 5) Lite Machine LMH 6) Midwest Electric HOTS 7) Goldberg Anniversary Cub w/ TH .75 two stroke 8) Sig Ultimate Fun-Fly Bipe w/ TH .46

On the bench:

1) Goldberg Ultimate 10-300 2) GP U-Can-Do 3D 3) Goldberg Super Chipmunk

Most fun: All of them! The Duraplane was great to pile in my your feet or cartwheel across the field with little more than a broken prop. The EasySport was fun since I had almost unlimited verticle and could do some wicked almost 90 degree tail wags. The Fazer could have been fun, but was grossly underpowered with the .40 four stroke (marine version). The Cub is wild with the overpowered .75 (go from one extreme to the other, huh?!?). Don't like electric much. My heli is the most fun of all. But then again, can't wait until I get the U-Can-Do in the air! That one should be a blast!

Reply to
Trowelfaz

I learned on a small electric 3 channel plane (hand launch). Had a lot of fun with it and it taught me a lot about flying.

Reply to
Anthony R

"GaijinGig" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com... | Hi gang | I trained on(and still are) the ready 2 with out the floats I bought | them but cant use them anywhere round here(LI NY) I love the plane it | flys well and is quite durable Some might not think that it is really | a trainer, but i did not want to go the avistar route.. believe it

A standard, high dihedral ARF trainer (don't even remember what co. made it) with MDS .40 (2 months), then a ST G45 (1 month), then sawed the wing in half and made it flat, enlarged the ailerons and bolted on a G51 (this combo held me for 4 months), then an MVVS .60 with tuned pipe (flew it like this 'til its demise). It was wicked in the final configuration! Decent inverted performance, lots of vertical! I got alot of hours out of that plane. Then one day, I was minding my own business hovering a bit, and doing some vertical landings (very high winds here in Texas, I could fly this plane backwards in the right wind!), and I heard my trainer behind me talking to his newest student. He said "When you can do THAT, you ain't a newbie anymore!" I was crushed. ;-) Then came an Easy Sport 40 ARF, with ST G51. Then a Super Sportster kit with G51 and no dihedral (can you tell I like SuperTigres?), modified tailfeathers (I hated that circus looking, rounded empennage) , all balsa sheeted and paint, no Moneykote (this is one sweet design, docile enough for a newb, but aerobatic enough for me at the time). Then a GP Spitfire ARF with OS 70 Surpass (this was one NASTY model at low speeds, wicked stall characterisics, left wing would drop out FAST) After that came an Ultra Sport 40 ARF with G51 (WHOA....slick and fast! Definitely not a good second plane). Now, I've come full circle and am back to flying a trainer, teaching my bro-in-law and son-in-law to fly! There is no favorite, I love 'em all. It's all about the flying! Doesn't matter what it is you're flying, as long as you DO IT! :)

FWIW, Kev

Reply to
Kevin M

Started out with a Balsa USA Stick 40 with the venerable OS 40FP. Cheap, rugged, flew well. Built a Hobby Lobby Telemaster 40 afterwards. It was a bit difficult and time consuming to build, but it flew like a dream. I still have one in my stable that I get out and fly when I want something slow and relaxing. I've seen several newbies train with Avistars, and I have no gripe with the plane! Horizon has just come out with the Arrow, a plane to compete with the Avistar. It's a little larger, seems to fly well, and has an attractive color scheme.

Morris Lee

Reply to
Morris Lee

On 10/3/2003 9:49 PM Ted shuffled out of his cave and grunted these great (and sometimes not so great) words of knowledge:

I learned on a SuperStar 40 with a Tower 46.

Talk about an initial handful !!!! The instructor took it up for it's maiden flight (all control surfaces set to the manual's RECOMMENDED throws) and I was watching him do knife edge, inverted, loops, rolls, ect., just look at the controls and the plane moved AND the plane was moving out about 65 - 70 mph !! I said to myself "I have to learn on THIS ? No Way !"

As soon as he landed, the first things he said were : "Reduce ALL the throws to ABSOLUTE minimum and take off the 11 x 7 prop. Put on a 11 x

5." In later conversation (before I ever got in the air) he was telling me to be very careful of using too much throttle with this engine, he said I have a real rocket there.

Once I learned, the plane was a blast - usually took off at 1/3 - 1/2 throttle, and with an 11 x 7 prop aerobatics were a blast. I have a new Avistar now (unbuilt) since the ply wing brace failed in the SuperStar.

2nd plane was/is a Stafford Rearwin Speedster with a Saito 72 (Unlimited vertical with a 13 x 6).

3rd plane was/is a scratch built Focke Wolfe 56 (FW-56 Stosser) powered by a Webra 61 Blackhead.

Also in the hanger are:

World Models Rambler 30 powered by OS 46 FX (EXCELLENT flying plane) Rich Uravitch Cessna 195 powered by OS 46 FX Pacific Aero Gee Bee "Y" powered by an OS 1.60 FX Sig Rascal 40 powered by an OS 46 FX

In progress: SkyShark Hawker Tempest MkV to be powered by a TT 61 Pro

Couple of things I am still trying to figure out though - When my wife is coming home, she calls on the phone and to ask for landing clearance. She also has started referring to the garage as an airport hanger.

Reply to
Ted Campanelli

Realflight G2. Ultimately the most long lasting and effective trainer I have ever possesed.

If newbies were made to take test on it before even TOUCHING a real toy plane, the ARTF busines would be slahed in volume, but a LOT of people would make successful flights a lot quicker.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I trained on a Kadet Senior modified for ailerons and used with either floats or as a tail dragger. Slow and sweet. It is still my favorite airplane, and I now have ten others. The newer Kadet Senior ARF would be similar.

Jim - AMA 501383

Reply to
James D Jones

I trained on the Top Flight Headmaster with an Enya .29 and Kraft 5 channel. Plans still available at RCM.

Very nice combo.

Don

Reply to
Don Hatten

I did my first stint with a Kraft Ugly Stick and K&B .61. Just about as good combination as any modern setup. That was a long time ago. After a long break, I bought a Great Planes PT 40 and Magnum Pro 45. The plane was fine and the engine rocked!

Reply to
Paul McIntosh

I built a few 40 sized trainers (A&A Industries RC Trainer 40, PT40, Goldberg Eagle 63) and then a Goldberg Eaglet 50. I had a little bit of trouble because I was teaching myself to fly. I would break the plane and fix it several times and then sell it before it became unattractive, and then move on to the next plane.

Then I ordered the plans for the Q-Tee 049 trainer from RCM. When I built one of those, I finally learned to fly. It didn't have enough inertia to break in a crash. I have built several Q-Tees over the years. They're really nifty planes. I sold my most recent one to a friend last week, and he plans to put micro servos and a throttled 061 in it. I have a few more framed up in the basement. I'm going to stick with the Cox Texaco on my next one. You just can't beat that combination.

Reply to
Robbie and Laura Reynolds

I learned to fly in 1975 on the original SIG Kadet 3 channel, with a Fox 25 and a Cannon 4 channel radio. Silk and dope covered. rick markel

Reply to
Aileron37

Back in the seventies I learned on an Andrews' H-Ray. Great flying trainer, I wish they were still around. Got out of RC for 26 years. Retrained on an electric Soarstar and glow Eagle II. I was disappointed in the Eagle. Builds very heavy and the ailerons had no authority.

PCPhill

Reply to
PCPhill

I liquidated a collection a few years ago that included an old Sig Kadet that had an OS 25 and a Kraft radio. I replaced it with a 40 FP, put in a new radio, and took it to the flying field. It flew great. That's the same one I mentioned before that I sold to a friend. He flew the hell out of it for a while, then gave it to a kid who needed a trainer. Later the kid unexpectedly gave it back to him because he was finished training. We still fly that thing. It's one of the best airplanes ever. We had a good time flying the AMA contest pattern with it.

Reply to
Robbie and Laura Reynolds

Your Eagle II was heavy? I have always admired the Goldberg trainers because they are so light. They were kind of fragile, but very light. I wonder if that's the difference between the original Eagle 63 and the updated Eagle II. It would be a shame if the new kit were that much heavier.

Reply to
Robbie and Laura Reynolds

Reply to
rokman

Reply to
Mike Gordon

The Eagle II has a few refinements over the original Eagle, but it is essentially the same kit.

IIRC the Eagle II has provision for wing bolts, a tail-dragger configuration, and the instructions provide for four-stroke engine mounting, whereas the original Eagle used rubber bands, did not have a tail wheel configuration, and did not address the use of four-stroke engines.

Neither builds heavy, and both have plenty of aileron authority, when built and flown correctly.

I've found that folks who think the Eagles (and GP PT series) lack aileron authority are probably trying to make "aileron turns", which is not something a high-wing high-dihedral flat-bottomed wing does very well.

Those trainers need to be flown using coordinated turns, and a great many 'instructors' fail to teach the rudder until after the student has soloed and is ready to try aerobatics, which in turn means that the student doesn't know what the rudder _does_.

It's worth repeating : if the rudder on an aircraft was only there for aerobatic maneuvers, Boeing wouldn't waste the money installing rudders on their products. If Airbus Industrie knew how much force a rudder generates, they'd have done the rudder installation on the A-3xx series a bit more stoutly so the things would not >rip off when used

Reply to
Fred McClellan

In the late 50's to mid 60's I "trained" on a number of single channel - rudder only, escapement controlled models powered buy .09 to .19 engines. Some that come to mind are the Breezy Jr., Spirit, DeBolt Champ/Cub, H-Ray, Esquire, Headmaster, and a number of others long forgotten. Mandatory was a plane stable enough to fly sans any control input that you could nudge off its flight path with frantic blips of rudder and hopefully two engine speeds (that seldom varied by more than 1000 rpm). Training used up a number of planes until more reliable equipment became available in later years. Receivers were usually the receiver of the month built from articles in Grid Leaks or MAN. The combination of stable plane, an engine that would run, and a receiver that would receive in consort with a transmitter that would transmit was a delicate balance of skills patiently developed over several years. And we refer to those as the "good old days"?

-- Red Scholefield AMA 951 District V

Reply to
Red Scholefield