hand-me-downs and recycling for new guys

I have noticed that whenever a guy asks where to get a plane to start with, everybody always advises the newbie to buy some airplane or another from some retailer or another. But I have never heard or read any advice for the newbie to shop around for used equipment. I have seen several people here in Kansas City learn to fly with recycled trainers that somebody else was finished with. A few of the trainers came from me, as a matter of fact. It seems to me that if you could get a used radio for $50, a plane for $25 or $30, and an engine for a few bucks, you could get started for well under a hundred. Don't we all know a few folks with extra junk they need to get rid of? And if it crashes, it was just somebody's old junk anyway. Not only that, but any competent modeler can check any plane for defects before it is flown.

Before everybody jumps on me and says that it is dangerous to fly a used airplane, aren't they all used airplanes after they have been flown once? And isn't there enough of a network in place to help a new guy steer clear from anybody who might sell him a dangerous piece of crap?

I got a guy started with a ten year old SuperStar 40 ARF trainer with equally old engine. It looked as though the original owner had put a few dents in it and lost interest. I sold him one of my old radios, and he flew it quite a lot. Two years later I got him in touch with another new guy, and he passed it along. Now the plane has a lot of tape over the big holes in the ARF-o-kote, and the tail has been replaced. But it still flies great. On another occasion I bought a Caprice 15 trainer with big holes in the covering for $15 at a swap meet, and it flies great. I'll pass it along to anybody who needs a plane to start on, as soon as somebody asks me.

Does anybody else do this, or do all of you always buy things brand new? If somebody gets online and asks how to get started for cheap, doesn't it seem like a good idea to go looking for somebody else's leftovers?

Reply to
Robbie and Laura Reynolds

I wouldn't buy a used airplane from an online auction. I have bought used planes through a magazine ad and they were junk.

Don't we all know one or more of those guys who are constantly buying and selling everybody else's airplanes? Here in Kansas City there are a couple of us who are always building planes and passing them along, and there are a lot of guys who are always buying new things and passing them along, and then there are a couple of guys who are always buying everybody else's stuff. Jim, the guy I referred to in another post, has about a hundred ready-to-fly airplanes at his house.

It's always nice to get started for cheap, but as you say it is hard to predict prices of used planes. I would say that the thing to do is to ask around at the flying field for a good beginner's airplane for cheap. You are sure to be directed sooner or later to the local wheeler-dealers.

Reply to
Robbie and Laura Reynolds

Reply to
John Graham

The problem with this is I spent a lot of money on my radio, airplane and engine. There's no way in hell I'm going to let it go for a few bucks. I'd rather recycle the equipment to fly other planes. I converted my trainer into an electric sport plane, and used the engine in one of my fun fly planes.

I know "Ba hum bug."

Reply to
Normen Strobel

Hi Robbie, The potential problems that I can see with a newbie buying second hand are:

  1. Not knowing what you're looking at (and subsequently getting ripped off by being sold something that either isn't suitable for a beginner or is just plain rubbish).
  2. Not knowing what things are worth (and subsequently getting ripped off by paying far too much for it).

Of course, we'd all like to think that all RC'ers are all a bunch of honest, helpful people, but if you actually believe that, you're smoking crack (and probably other prohibited substances). There's always someone around who's willing to make a quick $ from some unsuspecting newbie. I know I've seen it......more than once. Obviously the same could be said of some unscrupulous retailers, but I should think there'd be a lot less of them around than the number of 'dodgy' modellers.

MrBonk

Rural QLD Call

There's always someone around who's

you really want those types of people in your club? the place where you are supposed to relax and enjoy yourself?

Reply to
tater schuld

I wouldn't either. I build a lot of airplanes, fly them for a few months and then sell them. But I never sell my engines or radios.

But there are always those few guys who do. I know a couple of guys who have more radios, engines and airplanes than they know what to do with.

Reply to
Robbie and Laura Reynolds

No......I don't. Fortunately for me, we don't have ppl like that in our club. Our club is currently only sporting 9 members, all of whom are good friends and wouldn't rip a newbie off under any circumstances.

My point was simply that just because *you* might be a stand-up honest guy, doesn't mean *all* modellers are. A newbie who doesn't know what to look for when inspecting a model/engine/radio or how much the gear is worth is an easy target for those less than scrupulous types. I've seen some of the junk that newbies have turned up at the field with, only to be told that it had been purchased from 'this bloke I know who was only getting rid of it to make some room in his house'. Whipped engines, dodgy radios, warped wings, loose firewalls etc. It's obvious these guys could see a quick $ and took advantage of the situation. It's shitty, but it happens. Of course, the newbie who does some research and *then* goes on the hunt, armed with the knowledge he needs to spot the problems, is miles ahead of the one who doesn't.

If only they all fought that 'impulse buy' urge :-)

MrBonk

MrBonk

Just a few observations from a newbie to rc flying.

Used equipment. I didn't know of any sources for used rc stuff. Other than the LHS, I knew of one club in my town and when I tried to contact them, I got no response. (Well, I did - after 4 months of waiting.) What fired me up to join this hobby was an episode on JunkYard Wars. Just up my alley as I like to build things from junk. I'm an ebay addict as well. So, I searched web sites for engines, planes and radio gear. Ebay is the only auction source I'm confortable with, so I bought some used engines from a seller. I didn't get ripped off - (I'm a lot more careful than most people I've talked with) Then I bought a used transmitter - figured I'd pick up the receiver and servo's at a good price. That's my first mistake. I should have bought a new radio from any source and saved some cash. Lesson learned was to never buy used radio gear. Yes, the transmitter was fine and the service from Hitec was fantastic - they checked the transmitter out and replaced the antenna for free. Hitec just bought brand loyalty :)

Then I went looking for aircraft. I'm into this hobby for about 200 bucks now and was fast approaching my limit. It seemed that no matter what trainer I was looking at, used/abused or new the cost of the trainer would push me way over the edge. I hadn't even joined the AMA yet. I nearly quit.

I found

Cheap, durable plastic airplanes. Aha! perfect for me.

After taking a lot of ridicule from people who can afford to spend hundreds of dollars for airplanes that eventually might turn into toothpicks, I've yet to spend more than a hundred bucks for quite a few trainers that have all flown well. If they crash, its pilot error and nothing more. Now all I have to do is learn to land without breaking props or firewalls :) There's nothing like being in front of a group of people at a fun fly, have a mid-air that sends one plane earthward like a lawn dart while your plane keeps flying! Just mangled the landing gear. The collective gasp, the cheering and the look of consternation on other pilots as they stare at what should have been two ruined aircraft and the only damage is a broken prop, fuse and landing gear. Total cost is $10 for both pilots to rebuild.

When I'm done learning, my trainer will be put up as the club trainer. A lure to get those interested into the hobby a good, cheap start. All they will have to do is to buy a radio and install the receiver into the plane - servo's, engine etc will be already installed and a few items for a flight box. Repairs will be up to them to effect when the Crash(tm) happens. All they'll need is a few bucks, a couple of hours.

I have yet to see a club here in the Midwest which as a club trainer. Why is that?

I've still not joined the AMA.

Ed

Reply to
Edward Cameron

| Used equipment. I didn't know of any sources for used rc stuff.

Usenet, Ebay, local classifieds. I've even found stuff in garage sales! (but that's rare.)

| What fired me up to join this hobby was an episode on JunkYard Wars. Just | up my alley as I like to build things from junk.

Was it the one where they made a plane and a blimp? :)

(Oh yeah, somebody threw a way a prop, radio and servos, all in the junkyard. Uh-huh. Obviously they do *some* seeding ...)

| I'm an ebay addict as well.

Some love Ebay, some hate it. I don't suggest it as a place for a newbie to buy R/C stuff -- too hard to know what you're getting.

| Then I bought a used transmitter - figured I'd pick up the receiver and | servo's at a good price. That's my first mistake. I should have bought a | new radio from any source and saved some cash. Lesson learned was to never | buy used radio gear.

Used radio gear is fine. But you want to get your grubby hands on it and test it out first, and unfortunately newbies don't usually know what to look for.

You also need to factor in that the batteries should be replaced. At the very least, you need to cycle them a few times to make sure they're good, but usually when somebody sells stuff, the batteries are dead or dying.

| Yes, the transmitter was fine and the service from Hitec was | fantastic - they checked the transmitter out and replaced the | antenna for free. Hitec just bought brand loyalty :)

They do that a lot, it seems.

| Then I went looking for aircraft. I'm into this hobby for about 200 | bucks now and was fast approaching my limit. It seemed that no | matter what trainer I was looking at, used/abused or new the cost of | the trainer would push me way over the edge.

Shipping on a full plane will kill you. And often there's damage ...

| After taking a lot of ridicule from people who can afford to spend | hundreds of dollars for airplanes that eventually might turn into | toothpicks

Ignore them. Are you sure it was really ridicule rather than playful jabs? Our club seems to find things like Spads fascinating -- they're cheap, and often look cheap -- but yet they fly nicely ...

| When I'm done learning, my trainer will be put up as the club trainer. A | lure to get those interested into the hobby a good, cheap start. All they | will have to do is to buy a radio and install the receiver into the plane - | servo's, engine etc will be already installed and a few items for a flight | box.

You've already done the hard part. Might as well throw in a radio too ... or maybe somebody else will. In any event, very generous of you.

| I have yet to see a club here in the Midwest which as a club trainer. Why | is that?

Club trainers are abused. It's sort of like a rental car -- `no car can fly over curbs like a rental car!'

In any event, a used plane is a great way for a newbie to save a lot of money, but it works best if he can buy it from somebody who won't sell him junk, and it's hard to be sure of that unless you know the guy.

Reply to
Doug McLaren