new balsa airplane builder's site

I moved my balsa airplane building articles to their own website.

Sorry for the shameless self promotion, but I'm also setting up a store
to unload the mountain of screws and other hardware I have left over
from my buyout of the late Tom Runge's RC collection several years ago.
I'll be adding tailwheels, spinners, tailwheel brackets, control
horns, washers, clevises, and a few other things as I find the time to
sort and list everything. Click the Store link on the left menu panel
to see what I have listed so far. I also wouldn't mind some feedback
from you guys to tell me if the shopping cart buttons are working. I
need to make sure I'm doing it right before I try it on my Jensen
speaker website.
I'm also planning to add articles on wrinkle-free monokoting and how to
install a water rudder that's interchangeable with the tailwheel. I
found a nice pond that I may be able to fly the RCM Basic Trainer from,
so I'm eager to get that thing in the air, but right now it's sitting in
the corner waiting for me to clean all the screws off the building table.
Maybe I should post a photo of the big tub of mixed hardware I've been
sorting for the past couple of weeks......

Robert Reynolds
Your site looks like it contains some pretty useful info. A little nitpick-- the article on wing sweepback; the title seems to be a bit confusing; doesn't the sweepback correct/avoid tailheaviness?
Reply to
gyrocptr
Not to be picky but, that image on the front page really needs to b
optimized and the size reduced. Takes about 15 seconds to load at cabl speeds
-- starca ----------------------------------------------------------------------- starcad's Profile:
this thread:
starcad
I'm glad to hear that it wasn't TOO slow. My sister who helps me out with the websites told me to reduce the size of the photo, but I like it too much. I was out flying that airplane when a guy showed up with a fancy camera and started taking pictures. He asked me for my email address, and that evening I received about 20 shots of my planes. I like that particular one because you can see every detail of the construction, and you can see the reflection of almost the entire plane in the bottom of the top wings. I thought it was perfect for a building website, and I don't want to lose those details by degrading it.
Anyway, I figured that if it loads too slow you could simply move along and look at something else. Thanks for the input, and thanks for not yelling at me.
I'm planning to do another article soon for beginners. It will be about the small number of tools that are required for building from scratch.
H Davis wrote:
Reply to
Robert Reynolds
I went back and increased the quantity of hardware you get for a dollar on my website. I was more involved in writing code the first time around. This time I was thinking more about building airplanes, so now you get a lot of screws for a dollar.
I'll be adding other hardware within a week.
Robert Reynolds
I just checked this site again and wow, I don't know what Robert di
but it loads super fast now. Very well organized site in both theme an design. Good Job Robert keep up the great work and keep that sit current as I have it bookmarked
-- starca
Fly'em Boy
----------------------------------------------------------------------- starcad's Profile:
this thread:
starcad
Thanks!
I'm working on a Telemaster so I can teach my boys to fly. I'd like to take some photos while building and do an article on installing aileron servos in the wings the easy way.
starcad wrote:
Reply to
Robert Reynolds
Hey Robert if you get back to this email me at snipped-for-privacy@starcadplans.net If your going to write it I'd like to add it to StarCad Plans.
Guy (StarCad)
Reply to
starcad
-------------
Believe it or not, Telemasters and scalish Piper Cubs do not make the best trainers for someone starting out perfectly brand new. Yes, you can teach people to fly using these models, but I have taught folks to fly from zero on a Kaos 60. Not the best of choices for a trainer.
What's wrong with the Telemaster and Piper Cub? The vertical stabilizers are too small for optimum basic trainer service and the models are heavily influenced by crosswinds because of it.
Ed Cregger
Reply to
Ed Cregger
.
that must make eating VERY inconvenient
Typing must be tough too
Are you a musician? can you play by ear?
Reply to
Bob Cowell
I'm with you Ed.
They are pretty good once you get some experience, for the same reasons you note. They make you actually learn to fly.
But for the first flights, the frustration level and amount of stuff to pay attention to makes them a bit overwhelming
For the first flights, I still like to introduce people to my old Midwest Aerostar 40.
AFTER they get a little comfort zone, then they will learn more thoroughly on a Telemaster etc.
MY OPINIONS
YMMV
bob
Reply to
Bob Cowell
------------
So, now that we have ten years flying experience and an R/C website, we're hotshit?
Ed Cregger
Reply to
Ed Cregger
Ed, I've always thought you were a pretty decent guy. Don't start with the "wet behind the ears" crap.
I knew a guy in Dallas (16 years ago, incidentally) who used to let beginners fly his giant scale Stearman. You could use just about anything as a trainer if you wanted to. I just thought it was funny that one of the most highly revered airplanes isn't a good enough trainer for you.
Reply to
Robert Reynolds
When you're young, you can't tell the difference between genius and luck*. The only pilots who can claim real expertise after just ten years of flying are in the military, and they get _intensive_ training -- even their instructors get trained on how to be instructors.
Your comment may have seemed reasonable to you, but from this side of the screen it sure sounded disrespectful.
After having to come in with a shovel to clean up after cocky youngsters a few times, I can understand Ed's attitude.
Which only makes Ed's point that you can teach someone to fly on just about anything. He _wasn't_ saying you couldn't use a Telemaster, he _was_ saying that it isn't, in his opinion, the best to learn on.
And "highly revered" doesn't necessarily mean "good". It usually does, but just because the whole crowd likes it doesn't mean the whole crowd is right. For that matter, "good at some things" usually doesn't mean "good at all things".
* I should know -- I used to think I was a genius.
Reply to
Tim Wescott

Site Timeline