Hanging Large Signs from Metal Studs

HI Group;

Need the groups expertise... my wife's company just moved into a brand spanking new building. Now, she wants to hang three signs from each of her previous buildings inside her new ":private" conference room. (her company keeps growing and growing and growing....)

The heaviest sign weighs about 50 pounds... the other is about 20 pounds and the last one (her very first sign) is only about 10 pounds.

The walls are standard, commercial metal studs with 5/8" drywall.

I can find the studs... what is hte best hanger or fastener for fastening to the metal studs to carry this kind of weight?

Thanks in advance...

Steve Koschmann

Reply to
Steve Koschmann

Steve - EASY.

Go to a good hardware store - maybe a lumber yard.

RAYFIX International - MF Midwest Fasteners Corp -

ULTIMATE Wall Anchor I have a box of XL 100 pound units. Box is clear plastic - with a RED tape ad cover that has Rayfix in the upper left... part number 11209 if that helps. $6 for 8 anchors and 8 screws.

Works in 5/8 to 1" drywall. Fireproof Drywall also.

Find the point to have the hanger - hammer in a flat looking wedge. Screw in a metal screw into it. It spreads and then you have - using that screw - a 100# hanging point. They make 60#s as well (I use them mostly).

Use one, two or as needed. The screw is what holds up the work - spreading flaps in the wall keep the screw from pulling out of the wall.

My local hardware ordered some for me - my box was almost empty - and they got them in 2 days.

Only a hammer and a screw driver is needed. No drills.....

Mart> HI Group;

Reply to
lionslair at consolidated dot

"lionslair at consolidated dot net" wrote in message news:42dc8cec$1 snipped-for-privacy@spool9-west.superfeed.net...

If those are the hangers I am thinking about, they are very good drywall anchors, but they will not transfer the load to the stud. If you can find the stud, a plain old #14 (or so) metal screw should work just fine for that load. An alternative would be that same screw in a high quality plastic anchor that penetrates the metal stud (larger hole).

Vaughn

Reply to
Vaughn

Vaughn's method will easily hold your signs, if you think you need more, a method that I use is to place toggle bolts (the metal ones) so that they penetrate the studs and toggle open with the stud between it and the drywall. I hang wall cabinets this way, so it will hold a good bit of weight.

A spade bit will go through light gauge studs no problem

HTH

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Sellers

The Anchors mentioned work very well in drywall, as designed. They are also called "wall grabbers" in hardware stores and Lowe's and Wal-Mart(I believe). They do not penetrate metal studs and do not have to. Metal studs take a special drywall screw and are a real pain to use when hanging stuff.

Reply to
Peter DiVergilio

In message , Steve Koschmann writes

Ensure there is a fourth sign saying "Warning - Loose Sign"

Reply to
Rob Hammond

Steve If the ceiling is a dropped ceiling have you given any thought to hang from there? They make clips that go on the cross bars to do just this. Or lift a panel at the wall and affix wires above. If a hitech area use some bright stainless wire, or a clear filament fishing line. lg no neat sig line

Reply to
larry g

Thanks for all of the replies...

I am not really trusting of the drywall only hanger option. I know the hangers are rated for the load, but I just don't trust a 50 plus pound Aluminum sign hanging from dry wall... and I DON'T even want to contemplate another sign that says WARNING LOOSE SIGN!!!

I will be going with a modified "French Cleat" that I have used in the past... it is two interlocking pieces of wood or aluminun. I willl use metal screws to screw a beveled backiing piece to the metal studs, and a matching bevel piece to the back of the sign.

The benefits are you can easily attach and level the backing board first, , and the sign just lifts "up, over and down" to lock in.

Thanks for all the help...

Reply to
Steve Koschmann

wrote

The problem is most buildings don't have studs anymore. Steel 'studs' are used now. They are thin sheet that is folded.

The other issue, studs are where they want them, not where we want to put stuff. If I had to use two 100# anchors - I'd think about what is going over my head!

Martin