Hanging Airplanes

Hi Group, I'm working on an 1:48 A-10 Warthog on which I've decided to keep the landing gear retracted. Does anyone have any tips on how to display this model? (i.e. how to hang it?). Thanks.

- Doug -

Reply to
Doug Smith

Doug I always used 4lb or 6lb fishing line and and hung my planes from the ceiling. I used 3 anchor points on the ceiling so teh models didn;t twist in the A/C draft. You have to dust them periodically, but it is a nice way to hang them, I even used to creat air combat scenes with them, including stinging 2lb test between the planes for missles to be hung from so it looked like one was firing on another. Steve

Reply to
SMarsh3807

I've always enjoyed seeing kits displayed that way. It's certainly a lot more frugal than the big buck lighted glass display case. Only drawback is you seldom get to see the top. I used to hang them from the fishing line with both wings in a "sling." That way you can periodically adjust the attitude even to inverted. This way all surfaces get an even PDC.

One person I knew did the Revell WWI series and had them displayed in mobile fashion; always turning in a perpetual dogfight! Cheers,

The Keeper (of too much crap!)

Reply to
Keeper

Military aircraft spend 90% of their time on the deck. In my experience with military aircraft they are always sat forlornly on the flight line, flaps dangling, canopy and access panels wide open, with the poor groundcrew stood round scratching their heads in frustration and saying "Wot the bloody 'ell is wrong with it *now* ??"

So that's how I build 'em! :-)

Reply to
Enzo Matrix

Of course should you bump one after it has been hanging around awhile you get showered with dust.

Bill Banaszak, MFE

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

I had about 100 or so 1/48th models hanging because I didn't have display space (had to sell the collection when I moved :-( ). I found that what works best for smaller 1/48th kits is the wire that goes around small electrical motors. Its generally red but so thin it doesn't distract as much as fishing line. Of course, the larger the model and I assume a 1/48th A-10 is pretty big, maybe fishing line would be best. For god sakes don't use thread as thread rots under stress realtively quickly. Large white cup hooks screw easily into sheetrock if you don't over tighten them (the smaller brass ones work great in a wood ceiling but not in sheetrock as they are too finely threaded). For a large model I would suggest at least two, maybe three and independently tie them just in case something gives. I've got a B-24 1/48th that has been hung in a sheetrock ceiling for over 12 years and, in a kids room has even taken some pillow hits. Still hanging in there. Two cup hooks, two lines. I also double loop the line over the hooks to prevent slippage.

Al

Doug Smith wrote:

Reply to
old hoodoo