How to put wheels (landing gear) on balsa Spitfire?

How do I attach the wheels and landing gear on a Guillow balsa Spitfire model. Do I punch a hole in the tissue on the bottom of the wing? And where do the "M1" pieces go? The instructions are not too clear on that. I've got the tissue on the fuselage, the wing, the stabilizer and the rudder, all doped, but all four pieces are separate. I know I need to paint them before I glue them together. But the finishing up has got me stymied! Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

David Azose

Reply to
David Azose

I do not have the Spitfire kit itself. Generally, however, the landing gear should be built in before the wing or fuselage is covered. I am assuming that like other Guillows kits the actual landing gear is wire. That is usually glued into some support structure in wing or fuselage. Then maybe some more support structure (M1 maybe?) If possible, gear doors and such are added later, unless the doors actually add considerable physical support.

Reply to
Don Stauffer in Minnesota

Like Don, I don't have the kit either, but I think you goofed.

goes in before covering, etc.

D> > How do I attach the wheels and landing gear on a Guillow balsa Spitfire

Reply to
frank

Thanks for the information. I guess I did goof (this is my first try at a balsa model). I think I'll simply remove the bottom tissue with a razor blade, attach the landing gear and re-tissue the bottom. Oh, well, live and learn. Thanks again.

David A.

Reply to
David Azose

That will work okay. I have built several as flying models, and the landing gear sometimes gets knocked loose on a hard landing. I have frequently cut covering away, repaired the LG, then recovered and redoped.

Reply to
Don Stauffer in Minnesota