Bamford Oil Cake Breaker

Hi Folks,
I'm now the happy owner of a Bamford & Sons Improved Oil Cake Breaker. http://www.oldengine.org/members/arnie/cakebreaker.htm
As far as I can tell the rig is complete (with the exception of the rotted away wood bits and a cranking handle on the flywheel). Does anyone know what color they would have been painted? Does anyone with a more experienced eye see anything missing?
Hugh Stannard's Bamford cake breaker...
http://www.oldengine.org/members/arnie/yank2001/5/19.jpg
Some background info on cake breakers... http://oldenginehouse.users.btopenworld.com/cakemill.htm
What sorts of oil seeds would have been processed originally; I'm guessing linseed and rape seed at a minimum? Are blocks of seed cake available today (other than museum examples)?
What makes for a good demonstration "crushable"; I've seen chipboard and soft coal used. Sadly local laws prohibit feeding the body parts of obnoxious small children. 8->>
Does anyone have any literature on the Bamford cake breaker that they would be willing to copy or scan for me? Do you know of any additional background info on these interesting pieces of machinery that I could add to my display info board? Any other thoughts or comments would be welcome.
Thanks!
See ya, Arnie
Arnie Fero Pittsburgh, PA USA fero snipped-for-privacy@city-net.com
Arnie,
AFAIK it was almost exclusively linseed oil cake in these islands. Rapeseed is a relatively new phenomenon here. I don't think that anyone produces cakes now, as farmers buy premixed feed pellets straight from big feed mills. Our neighbouring farmers, being a conservative lot, still refer to pellets as "cake" or corn.
I've got some Bamford literature at home, I'll see what I can find tonight on cake breakers.
Would local laws allow the processing of cats (or perhaps politicians) with your machine? ;-)
Regards, Arthur G

Arnie, Do you have Hugh's email, I can send it if you want off NG. His is as found and he does have a slab of something that he displays with it, cant remember what though. Also I you look at the belt you will see a mouse.
Martin P
hit_n_miss wrote:

On Fri, 25 Nov 2005 17:40:11 -0000, "Campingstoveman"
back and said:

I have seen compressed peat (the "briquettes" that were burn in Eire) used, but that may not be easily obtainable on t'other side of The Pond.
Brian L Dominic
Web Sites: Canals: http://www.brianscanalpages.co.uk Friends of the Cromford Canal: http://www.cromfordcanal.org.uk (Waterways World Site of the Month, November 2005) Mid-Derbyshire Light Railway: http://www.mdlr.co.uk
Newsgroup readers should note that the reply-to address is NOT read: To email me, please send to brian(dot)dominic(at)tiscali(dot)co(dot)uk