Lerch's Changfa Generator Update

Greetings All,

Yesterday was exciting, we loaded the generator up to 62% rated power, and she seemed to handle it vary well. Once I get a little further along with the project, I plan on doing a 100% load test, but until then, this will have to do :)

Only complaint so far is the beast is ungodly noisy! I have several plans on how to reduce the offending emissions, but at least at this point I know if the utility power goes out, I have a way of keeping the house up and running like normal.

I've also updated the web-site with yesterday's work:

(Look for the "Workday 5 & 6" link on the left of the main page)

Take Care, James Lerch

(My telescope construction, Testing, and Coating site)
(My 15Kw generator project) Press on: nothing in the world can take the place of perseverance. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. Calvin Coolidge

Reply to
James Lerch

Very nice pictures. An interesting decision to weld the motor to the frame instead of bolting it. I am skeptical about muffling this engine due to cooling issues.

Ignoramus4745
× x?V]oÜF |?`â¤Àùl§¶?? ÑN?&@}*ö$J·¾ÕR?S¯¿¾ÃU?^ª?>VÃáCª?ÐI¢$Í~Aõ?ë-¥ ?ãÎ8?ö$-9:¦6³£dü6â?IdOo*?????ý?%]E;&ÉPi§?KºñÔïÉIm?¿?Ã*b/+ ?#yP3ÎÉÈ Ùòõ:[×XßÑ?ât?c¢?î8?=ÕÆÇ%UÕ ?¾|{0Y?b ??fs½?1§zAQ¨?òI2[ðØW£?¦dá÷x?~zÆ!hÓõìñ?=?ö?A0á2+wV?I\áMP²à|ÒÚ"ÙÈ#ÑÀac?¨iõÈÖ@?Q²khÃn ³ÛTÙ?M4?s??Ue«?ÛÌ :û^eGOO/èìûÕùùêì?^¾¹]ÐMç??ÏñüÉùEuä?=|òü?·¿¾{ñf©×Këw(ws?+?$^UOí³rûCWok¦ÁÖ) ¾¤?ë¤Åh¸¶?k ?? ´?zI¨#?àæé?}ö°Æ÷1±iT?¸c?V??[?­¡´Y ?êsÛ:=?6åòõ?B6?5R-R?Ù3hùä¸ýâ??z¹ºønuödRõÈGzÍ??Þ9½|îeÓ/?é³6ûeËZz­&Aã?X/³æé?s?ÿ¿?ÿbsh?F4%ÿ][ýxÁá)Óð¤z??Qåó ?\>~@¸ÇÛ6 ³0èî?">??bmð?@?v¥GA?  :àø°$a2$§Þ ?æ?NP??Má4¹ã:¡#ipÆ¥­?¡³ÓÓ?>%¤7ù"ÃEn? ?Ò£u,w¥æ0íêÛ{Å{ëáIÔñ­zI¨5}Rø­?7ÙwÒà ÷ßø?(6?íg ?LÔl62*?ÀM?H )m? *î?ðÆ{Ócpº?ÌT?à m=@1Z-C??Ô ¶X|àgÐePo?Äü?và¨SM¡ÙëDB1ê0zã?÷jxóPc9h??¦´??>?6ñTîý?&}?2IØ?~??:9)®Yz9¶?úää]×ýdþ|?z/?G¯E¶Ôêx?i¿ü?hj? :?¯èrz?ýVk4-µ¶Lñ2?Ð4`èÞÛ
Reply to
Ignoramus4745

It might be just my area, but all generator tanks that I have seen installed for the last decade or two have been double wall. Spill a few gallons of diesel in your yard and you might find yourself involved in an expensive mitigation project. This is one reason why I like LP gas and/or natural gas for powering fixed engines.

It is hard to believe that it was once perfectly accepted (in these parts anyhow) to pour gallons of used oil around the foundation of your house to discourage termites.

Vaughn

Reply to
Vaughn Simon

The diesel isn't welded to the frame, it is bolted. As is the generator head as well.

The next step is to build another frame, that the existing sub-frame will attach to via rubber motor mounts.

I'm not too worried about the diesel, but the generator head does have a lot of air flow thru it. So I'll have to be careful there. I'm currently thinking of mounting the radiator on the side of the engine, near the air outlet of the generator head. This plus a couple of fans "Running Backwards" (IE they push air thru the radiator towards the outside air) and some louvered panels should work.

Take Care, James Lerch

(My telescope construction, Testing, and Coating site)
(My 15Kw generator project) Press on: nothing in the world can take the place of perseverance. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. Calvin Coolidge

Reply to
James Lerch

Well, the tank I have in mind will only be 6" tall and 2 foot wide by

4 foot long (or so) . Maybe 25 gallons or so capacity.

All the portable generators I've seen have the fuel tanks located on top of the engine. Mine will be similar, just a "little" bigger.....

One other thing, this won't be a permanently mounted generator next to the house, it will be trailer mounted. So I'm not sure how the zoning / fire laws effect this as I travel from county to county, state to state.

I can see why there is a concern about gravity feed fuel tanks, but I have an 8 gallon gravity feed gasoline tank on my riding lawn mower. I'm not sure if the analogy holds, but a fuel leak in either tank is going to create a mess.

Take Care, James Lerch

(My telescope construction, Testing, and Coating site)
(My 15Kw generator project) Press on: nothing in the world can take the place of perseverance. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. Calvin Coolidge

Reply to
James Lerch

I didn't catch this whole thread but it looks like a fun project. I'm curious how the final cost compares to buying a finished unit. A friend of mine bought a china-diesel genset a year or so ago and it was pretty much a turn-key operation. I don't remember the price but I think it was quite reasonable. He uses it regularly and it seems to be running well.

Another thing I am curious about is how long the love-joy coupling lasts. I think you have a 2 cylinder diesel and I suspect the coupling will be subjected to a fair amount of pounding.

chuck

Reply to
Chuck Sherwood

These ChangFa diesels are single cyl engines, I have built one similar to Lerch's genset, but mine is only 10Kw not 15Kw that he has.

I only wish I had purchased the bigger 12Kw or 15Kw than the smaller 10Kw model I have. I was told that you need at least 2Hp/KW, since these diesels are rate at 22hp at 2200rpm, I needed to reduce the engine speed to match the 1800 rpm head I have. I didn't believe this engine could put out the volt/Amp of a larger head, Damn.

Jeff Spring Hill, Florida

Reply to
SomeBody

SNIP

Generally, fuel tanks (and oil tanks) should provide the least amount of container "surface area" to help combat condensation. And deep gets the most fuel out, and big flat tanks causes other unpleasantries if the tank "vibrates" at engine speeds.

Besides, wood and shingles are cheaper than metal.

Take care.

Brian Lawson, Bothwell, Ontario.

Reply to
Brian Lawson