OT-For you motorheads<G>

From an email from a Nascar driver buddy of mine...

Watch a BMW M3 GTR go full throttle

Ever wanted a ride in a BMW M3? Around Nurburging? With Hans Stuck driving?

Then click the above link, and hang on :-)

Broadband speed needed. Speakers turned up. For you MSF Insrtuctors out there...this guy re-defines "outside-inside-outside" path of travel Enjoy!

Gunner Asch

My wife hates it when I drive that way! The mileage goes right to hell!

Paul

Reply to
pdrahn

I remember watching Hans Stuck driving an Audi at Sears Point in the rain. Simply amazing. AWD helped, but he made the rest of the drivers look like amateurs. And there's no one better at The Ring.

Thanks,

Peter

Reply to
Peter Grey

I did!

I have 'driven' this track a few times on a computer game and the banked left handers always catch me out! Nice to see someone go through there

*without* hitting the walls on the exit......lol.

Thanks for the link Gunner.

Reply to
Larry Green

You know, I would hate to be the guy that had to build that transmision, then WATCH that video :)

Take Care, James Lerch

(My telescope construction, Testing, and Coating site)
(My 15Kw generator project) Press on: nothing in the world can take the place of perseverance. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. Calvin Coolidge

Reply to
James Lerch

I counter your BMW M3 GTR with this and raise you with 3 "coolness" and historical value chips...

Regards, Joe Agro, Jr. (800) 871-5022 (908) 542-0244 Automatic / Pneumatic Drills:
Spindle Drills:
V8013-R

Reply to
Joe AutoDrill

With the gearboxes used in most many race cars, one has to shift them forcefully. Stuck isn't using the clutch except to get going, and getting those straight cut gears to mesh requires a strong and quick shove.

It sounds worse than it is. The internals of the trans would look worse if he took his time shifting.

Peter

Reply to
Peter Grey

That Challenger looks cool, especially without the deformed Benz grille that seems to be making it onto all the new Dodges recently. But the sound of that BMW having the snot wrung out of it coming out of my speakers for the last hour inspires me to work faster.

Later,

Charlie

And How far is Millington from Marlton?

Reply to
Charlie Gary

Pretty wild. Was trying to figure out how the slap shifter worked, but eventually figured out the driver inset view was out of sync by a second or more with the sound. The flash encoder was pretty badly overloaded by the rapid scenery movement, so it messed up the speed sensation. It seemed like he really wasn't going that fast, not much over 120 MPH, but that may have been due to the tiny viewing window and the flash encoding. Esecially when there was an overhead sign or a sign truss, the view got jerky.

It sounded like the microphone was bolted to the gearbox - what a lot of gear noise!

Thanks for the posting - are there any more like this around?

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

Yeah, the speed of those shifts is faster than any production automatic can do it. Obvious no clutch pedal used there.

After reading about what could be done with (and to) commercial manual transmissions in the early rails with transmissions, this is pretty mild. The took all but 4 of the 32 clutch teeth off a Mopar 4-speed, and shifted a 3000 Hp rail engine by just lifthing the gas pedal a bit and ramming the ratchet shifter lever to the next gear.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

That looks cool, they didn't screw it up much.

Reply to
Why

CLIP

About an hour and a half. Sometimes two and a half with traffic.

Find Basking Ridge on the map. I can see that town from here... Well, I could if I had a window anyhow. Are you in Marlton or just familiar with the area?

I'm looking for a legitimate reason to ride my motorcycle down to that area of NJ....

Reply to
Joe AutoDrill

I'm just familiar with the area. One of my bestest buddies lives there when the Army doesn't have their hooks in him. When they do, he gets to go to places in the news. I went there a few years back for his wedding, and it was the year the sun didn't break through the Seattle overcast for about four months, and I recall how nice it was to finally see the sun again. I do remember the crappy traffic, though.

Later,

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie Gary

Once I get all my other crap paid for I might even try to buy one. I'm glad they did like Ford and stayed fairly true to the original, but made it prettier. If the new Mustang did come with a Ford electrical system..........

Reply to
Charlie Gary

He's going a ton faster than 120. I'm betting close to 180 on the back sections of the track. In-car videos always look slower than the car's really going. I assume that the gearbox noise is from straight-cut gears.

Peter

Reply to
Peter Grey

Hey... That's Philadelphia traffic. Don't blame that in NJ. :)

Most of NJ is great - in fact, the best I've ever experienced in the US. However, there are a bunch of areas where you simply do not want to drive, ride, or live in around here. Both are side effects of living next to the world's capitol city and it's activities and ambiance.

Regards, Joe Agro, Jr. (800) 871-5022 (908) 542-0244 Automatic / Pneumatic Drills:

Spindle Drills:
V8013-R

Reply to
Joe AutoDrill

That guy drives like my wife trying to get home before she pees her pants.

Reply to
alphonso

"Jon Elson" skrev i en meddelelse news:xumdnSjOB8OVDR snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com...

Dodge Viper GTS vs. Porsche 911 GT3

is just a 17 minute clip, but there are 6 full length movies made in this series...

Interesting ways to trash cars, also swedish:

/peter

Cliff wrote in news:bnc7o1p9jmaumm8fi2584gkgv652ndn12f@

4ax.com:

I don't think so. At least not recently. High crime rates and poverty go hand in hand, so look for the poorest cities and you'll find high crime rates. The south in general has a lot of the high crime areas. The Northeast and Midwest tend to have fewer. But there is plenty of poverty even there. Places like Bridgeport, Ct., Detroit, Mi., Gary, IN. It pays to be careful in those cities.

Some slightly older data -

Reply to
D Murphy

Camden used to... It is the city most NJ folk do not even know about. It is basically the NJ side of Philadelphia so blame them.

Reply to
Joe AutoDrill