What good supplies should I get while in the UK?

I'll be in the UK next weekend and part of the following week. I plan on restocking my Rozalex Barrier Cream supply, getting a couple of Boots Shave Sticks, a part for the Kenwood Chef mixer, and perhaps a new "wireless" kettle. You UK metalworkers: anything you really like that I can't get easily in the US? It's gotta be transportable by Airline baggage.

Reply to
Bob Chilcoat

Mercurochrome if it's still legal there...

Reply to
Jim Stewart

Proper Ovaltine if you like it. I remember in Wichita Ks once finding UK Ovaltine in an oriental food market. It was exported from the UK to asia then to the US. Unlike the US product the ingredients list didn't read like a chemistry set contents.

Decent bac>I'll be in the UK next weekend and part of the following week. I plan on

Reply to
David Billington

Marmite - an edible lubricant - good on toast and high temperature bearings

In message , Bob Chilcoat writes

Reply to
Rob Hammond

It upsets me, but there are probably very few things that you can't get cheaper at home. However, if you haven't already got them or if the price is right... Posidrive screwdrivers No1,2 &3 sizes. You might not need them now, but when you do, Phillips or Reed & Prince don't fit. Metric screws/nuts/spanners/taps BA screws/nuts/spanners/taps

Failing that and still within the airline baggage limitation. A Stilton cheese and a firkin of Adnam's Broadside bitter or Ruddles County ale.

HTH Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

I can get Stilton here. Beer's a good possibility, but I plan to have consumed my fill of Brains SA when I'm in Cardiff, and my favorite, Wadsworth 6X, doesn't travel well.

Reply to
Bob Chilcoat

I could have you take senior son, in the other London, some Kraft Dinner, both times I went, I took him a suitcase full - 50 boxes. One year, for his birthday, I sent him a twelve pack - cost me $5.00 for the KD and $40.00 postage. He figures he could import it at that rate and still make a profit! Metal content? The tin pot, of course! Gerry :-)} London, Canada

Reply to
Gerald Miller

I sure like my TFal 240-volt 3000-watt kettle for coffee or tea NOW!!!!. I have a UK-style outlet next to the welder.

Reply to
Don Foreman

I went to live in Vancouver for 5 months last year. Brought a big jar of Marmite with me, only to find that the supermarket 20 yards down the road stocked it!!

By the way, I can't stand US electrical plugs/sockets - they never seem to hold things securely like the British ones do. For normal flex it's OK but when you've got a transformer with those two thin pins, they never sit very securely in the wall.

Take some Milky Way chocolate bars back and amaze the folks back home when they discover that they don't have any caramel. Astonish them further by producing some Mars Bars, which do...

Reply to
Robin

We've had a TFal "wireless" kettle in the kitchen for at least 15 years. Before that we had a Russell Hobbs stainless steel kettle. I wired up a 230 V outlet next to the microwave (20 amp duplex outlet with horizontal pins instead of the usual 115 V vertical ones, otherwise the same). Used for the kettle and the Kenwood Chef mixer which is also 230V. Has worked perfectly for years, and the kettle heats at roughly 4x the typical 15 A 115 V US kettle. Unfortunately the old TFal is filthy (what IS that black stuff that comes out of New Jersey water) and has had a couple of minor problems for years. Time to replace it.

For you US engineers, a "wireless" kettle in the UK has a removable base that is wired to the outlet, and a plug on the bottom of the kettle. When you remove the kettle from the base, the holes in the socket in the base automatically close to prevent any spilled water from entering. It's only wireless when you remove it from the base to pour, but it makes it much easier to use. British kettles also have a clever switch that turns them off when they boil or if heated dry.

Reply to
Bob Chilcoat

A current model is the TFal Vitesse Gold. It has gold plating within; supposedly the black stuff won't stick.

Reply to
Don Foreman

Hey Bob,

Not REAL sure what you mean 'new "wireless" kettle', but if it's what we use here at home, then there are a number of styles available closer to home for you, or at least right here in Canada, at any appliance dealer or store. For instance, a few examples from one of our large retailers, Canadian Tire:

or

or

Take care. Happy Thanksgiving.

Brian Lawson, Bothwell, Ontario.

Reply to
Brian Lawson

PS..........OH, and they are all 110VAC 60 Hz (good to 120VAC) just like you use in ??, USA

BL

Reply to
Brian Lawson

OK, Brains is good :-)

Just remembered something that may be significant... A jar, or tin of Mustard. Possibly also a bottle of Worcestershire sauce.

Regards Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand