Good Gas Can?

My wife has made it clear that although she doesn't mind operating the snowblower when I'm at work, she HATES the 1 gallon plastic gas can I have. Frankly, I can't blame her, 'cause it seems to be built by the folks that invented the dribble glass.

The one I have is by Wedco, and you have to take the nozzle off, and remove and then re-install a plug to seal it every time you use it. When you remove the plug and lock the spout back on with the plastic nut, it never seals well unless you REALLY crank on it. End result is gas leaking all over & a ticked off spouse. It has no gasket to seal the spout to the can or the cap. The plug has a thin O-ring, and I've never been convinced it actually sealed against anything either.

I'd much prefer a can with a cap on the nozzle so that you dont have to go through hoops every time you use it. If it filled through a second opening, that might be even better.

So, do the very knowledgeable folks here have a favorite type/brand of can? It may be that Wedco has improved their design by now, because they still seem to be one of the big brands. Consumer Reports thinks their "no-spill" design was better than ones from Blitz, which seems to be another top brand. There also see s to be some funny business about what state certain cans are legal for. I live in Massacuhusetts, which is probably not a good thing...

Thanks for any suggestions.

Doug White

Reply to
Doug White

I solved that problem by using a good funnel. Throw that POS plastic spout away. Steve

Reply to
Up North

I don't have a favorite, but I do have a cheap red plastic 5 gallon Bilz (sp?) that works surprisingly well. It's so cheesy that it pained me to buy it, but it's survived getting tossed in the back of my pickup 3 or 4 times each winter for 5 years or so. I used it today to fuel my tractor. If you can't buy one in MA, I'm sure you can sneak across the border to NH (Live free or die!) to find one.

Reply to
Ned Simmons

I have a Blitz Jerry Can with a metal spout. Had it for years. The spout is removable and I found an O-ring that fits around it nicely. The can cap itself has a wide flat rubber gasket that won't leak at all. Theres a small hole above where the spout screws in which does a fair job of venting the can. Can't complain; it's served me well. Maybe this:

NokNokMan

The new gas cans spill more fuel than ever. The law was well intentioned, but has probably resulted in more pollution.

Reply to
ATP*

We have begun to copy their laws and restrictions, don't bother.

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

On Tue, 23 Dec 2008 07:04:49 -0500, the infamous "ATP*" scrawled the following:

They definitely have resulted in more pollution.

I had a freshly filled 2-gallon red plastic POS sitting on my back patio while I mowed the lawn. I ran back there when I noticed the strong gasoline smell. It was assembled correctly, but it was filled when cool. Now that it was 90F, it was self-emptying through the snout (reversed, it's the vent) onto the patio. What a mess!

Another time, the freshly filled 2gal leaned on the freshly filled

1gal can during transit and emptied a cup+ of gas out of it into my truck bed.

Simply BRILLIANT engineering, that.

-- Women and cats will do as they please,

and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.

--Robert A. Heinlein

Reply to
Larry Jaques

In my pickup, I have a 20 liter gallon steel gas container bought from generator joe. In the yard, I have plastic containers that work fine. As Larry pointed out, do not overfill them.

Reply to
Ignoramus25152

The Blitz plastic cans *without* the spring loaded spout work well, they just empty slowly and somewhat spurtily.

The spring loaded spouts are a nightmare.

Dave

Reply to
spamTHISbrp

Put me down as another Blitz container user. I have both a 5 gallon, which I rescued from the dumpster, and some 2+ gallon ones. They're

2+ because they have enough room to add oil for 2-cycle use when filled with 2 gallons. Low, rectangular, don't tip and are easy to pour from, pull-out spout is in the filler cap. I'm pretty sure they came from Target originally, that was before Target became the bullseye boutique and quit carrying lowly car stuff. Anyway, they've served as reserve gas supply for the VW for quite a number of years. Work for the mower, too. I think Blitz got bought out by somebody else, though.

Stan

Reply to
stans4

Save one of the large red liquid laundry soap containers that feels nice to pour from. Rip the goofy spout thingy out of the top. Poke a small/tiny hole in the screw cap for a vent. Hold a nice funnel in your weak hand and pour with the stronger. Write GAS or what ever else suits you fancy on it if you feel it is necessary.

It helps to not fill the jug, maybe only 2/3 full. They may dribble a little otherwise. Fill this smaller jug with a funnel from a bigger 5-6 gallon container.

I've been using two of these for ~8 years now. They hold up and pour better than the proper gas containers sold nowadays.

Watch garage sales, the old (at least 10 years) containers were a heck of lot better.

Reply to
Leon Fisk

Another 20 miles and you're in Maine, but it looks like we may not have them anymore, either. My can is listed with the discontinued and obsolete containers.

Ned Simmons

I forgot about those. I use two tied together for gas and bar oil for the chain saw. The liquid Tide bottles with the built-in spout work very well with my saw and eliminate the need for a funnel. The caps seem to swell a bit from the gas, but still work.

Ned Simmons

That is a strange state. You can still own machine guns. Wonder if Teddy wants to keep Papa Joe's heater?

Wes

Wes

We have metal safety cans at work. What a joke. They are so safe you can't get oil into them or out of them. I'll stick to a milk jug. (Do not try this with gasoline).

Wes

Reply to
Wes

What type of plastic is used in gas cans? What does the recycle code look like.

Wes

Reply to
Wes

Great minds think alike.

I use a similar Tide bottle for premixed gas for the weed wachers and chain saws.

No funnel needed if you are halfway careful

Gunner

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this dist..." Maj. Gen. John Sedgewick, killed by a sniper in 1864 at the battle of Spotsylvania

Reply to
Gunner Asch

He probably uses it to keep the illegals working for him.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

I'm pretty sure they are polyethylene.

Doug White

Reply to
Doug White

On Tue, 23 Dec 2008 08:10:03 -0600, the infamous Ignoramus25152 scrawled the following:

They also leak if half full (if they're cold and it warms up a whole lot or you squeeze the sides of the can.) The assinine design has the vent tube dipped into the gas for the length of the spout!

Fill 'er up and push quickly and firmly on the sides of the can and you can get a 1/4" stream of gas to shoot 20'. It's a REAL safe design...NOT!