Jerry can spout? Maybe OT

Hi All,

I have a Jerry can with a 2-5/16" diameter opening and 11-1/2 TPI thread. It looks to be a tapered thread so it might be a 2" NPT but the chart shows 2-3/8" diameter for that. The length of thread is only about 3/8" long so it is a bit hard to measure accurately.

Can anyone suggest where I might get a spout for this thing? The can is in great shape so I do not want to toss it. The screw-in cap all works fine but it is a beast to try and pour from so I have to siphon the gas out. That is getting old very fast.

Thanks in advance.

Dave

Reply to
Dave, I can't do that

"Dave, I can't do that" fired this volley in news: snipped-for-privacy@13g2000prf.googlegroups.com:

Dave, That sure sounds like 2" NPT to me. 2-5/16" is smaller than 2-6/16 (2-

3/8), and the thread pitch is correct.

Aren't most Jerry can openings threaded on the outside, so that it takes a cap with a gasket to close them?

Jerry can lids are all over the place. Buy one, turn or drill a hole, braze in a piece of gooseneck, and have at it!

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

Hi Lloyd,

Not sure about "most" but this one is an internal thread on the can. As to "all over the place," I searched for quite a while before posting this request as I couldn't find anything close to this size. This one has a chain and swivel attached to the center of the lid so the lid. Maybe that's why I can't find any loose lids. :)

The make it myself is the plan B as it doesn't make sense to do that if I can buy a spout-lid for 20-bucks. I don't turn the lights on in the shop for less than 20-bucks.

Dave

Reply to
Dave, I can't do that

I've seen a few like that, no spouts, though, chain goes INTO the tank. Usually the can lip is externally threaded and you use a spout with an expanding rubber gasket with lever to pour, lid is chained to the outside of the tank. Don't know what the original purpose was with the ones with internal threads, but it probably wasn't gas for Jeeps. Diesel for tanks, maybe.

Stan

Reply to
stans4

I don't know of any sources to suggest other than military surplus places which you may have already tried. I might try emailing a couple surplus places that appear to have genuine old military stuff, not China looky-like replica crap.

The thread could be NPS (straight). The ones I've seen have a stamped/formed cupped cap with a wide hex flange.

A pipe fitting would likely fit the threads at some point along the taper of the fitting, but probably won't provide much of a seal (leak badly) if there isn't a flat shoulder to support a gasket to seal against the can's opening.

So even if you could find a decent pipe plug (brass would do nicely), there wouldn't likely be a wide shoulder for the gasket. That would most certainly involve a short section of a close nipple to fit into the can opening threads, then a reducer, cap etc (or other fitting to provide a shoulder for the gasket), and provide a suitable area for mounting a gooseneck (soldered in probably). Rather complicated fabrication project for a fairly simple part, but a new device would be made to all the safety regulations, and likely leak and/or break easily.

You can bet that there are lots of extra caps around, because they're the most durable part of the can (OK, maybe the handle too). Cans have certainly rusted out from sitting on dirt, or having water in them, but locating the type of scrounger that would have a few caps is the difficult part.

Try a vintage military vehicle/Jeep group-forum, maybe. The WWII vehicles seem to have spots for mounting the cans, so I'd think those folks would be on the lookout for cans to make their vehicles look ready for action, dressed out with genuine vintage accessories.

Reply to
Wild_Bill

This is a Marine Corps jerrycan, right?

Does this look like what you want?

Ignoramus25694

Well then Dave, there it is. Steve

Hi Lloyd,

Not sure about "most" but this one is an internal thread on the can. As to "all over the place," I searched for quite a while before posting this request as I couldn't find anything close to this size. This one has a chain and swivel attached to the center of the lid so the lid. Maybe that's why I can't find any loose lids. :)

The make it myself is the plan B as it doesn't make sense to do that if I can buy a spout-lid for 20-bucks. I don't turn the lights on in the shop for less than 20-bucks.

Dave

Reply to
Steve Lusardi

I got mine from Northern Hydraulics or what ever their name is now.

Bill K7NOM

Reply to
Bill Janssen

Standard Jerry can internal pipe thread is 2-inch NPS, like standard barrel bung hole. Identify this via an external thread from 2.339 to 2.351 OD, or internal thread 2.259 to 2.268 ID, with 11.5 tpi. This is a mechanical attachment, not liquid tight, for use with a gasket. The Blitz brand sells a plastic replacement spout, available at Home Depot (at least here in hurricane land):

Richard J Kinch

These sell for US $10 to US $26.

--Winston

Reply to