Good Gas Can?

The Blitz plastic cans *without* the spring loaded spout work well, they just empty slowly and somewhat spurtily.

The spring loaded spouts are a nightmare.

Dave

OK - define nightmare. (Hate that springy thingy) I would use much more harsh invective and vastly more vile imprecations for the miserable little "safety spout" one I bought as a matter of dire need to go mowing one day at the family cemetary, in the middle of nowhere, two counties westward. The wretched thing spilled more than it transferred. It half-emptied a one gallon can to fill a one quart tank.

Really. Abominable contraption, invented by some sadistic twit who thought my that losing half a gallon of $4.00 gas would somehow, be amusing.

Flash

Reply to
Flash

Seems the new plastic ones with the vent in the spout (crap) are everywhere. They work about as well as the 1.5 gal toilets that sometimes toss a turd some 4" in the air.

I do have an Eagle type II that works pretty well, the type I is a pain to use or fill.

Matt

Reply to
matthew maguire

On Wed, 24 Dec 2008 04:47:17 -0600, the infamous matthew maguire scrawled the following:

I absolutely refuse to pay $40-$60 for a bleedin' 1-gallon gas can, TYVM.

I've had one of these for 25 years now and they're just wonderful with the separately-vented 1-gallon cans. I _very_ seldom lose a drop, except when filling it from the assinine Blitz gas cans.

(bottom item)

GAS CAN SPOUT

  • Flexible neoprene material * 1 3/4" thread diameter * Fits most older model rectangular and round metal gas cans * Also for older Eagle model cans

Part# 765057

List Price:$8.98 You save 40% !!! Super Saver Your Price: $5.39

-- Women and cats will do as they please,

and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.

--Robert A. Heinlein

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I find a quart clear mouthwash bottle excellent for gas-oil mix; it pours easily, seals tight and you can see how much is inside ;)

** Posted from
**
Reply to
nick hull

I was at our local big box store (no not walmart) and for grins I looked at gas containers. Big sign about 2009 federal rules coming in and that these are compatible.

What is started in Kalefornia eventually comes to everywhere else. I'll be buying some tide.

Wes

Reply to
Wes

ok, since its a metal working group,,, what's wrong with the good old 5 gallon Jerry can. To big you say!!! well cut it down to a size that works for you... I have one that I cut down years ago,, it holds a little more then a gallon. Its even cute too... I have another one that my Dad used to mount on his international scout. It was for water. He put a garden hose spigot on it, so we could wash up before lunch while we were out hunting... The best part of that one was the rube Goldberg wrench he "built" to hold the nut inside the can, while he was tightening the outside... If I recall, the wrench consumed about 3/4's of a roll of black tape!!!!!!!!!

bob in phx.

oh yea and don't be stupid and try to weld a can that has not been cleaned and purged....

Reply to
Bob in Phx

Apparently the EPA has issued new regs that require EVERYONE to match the California requirements as of Jan 1, 2009.

I found a automotive place that had some of the older Blitz ones in stock, but in the wrong size. They also warn you against storing it with the neck installed, despite the cap on the end.

Actually, the new plastic Blitz cans have a thumb operated valve that looks like it could be pretty good. It beats the ones where you have to push the nozzle against the filler neck, which would be useless with a small tool like a weed whacker. You don't have to store the can with the filler off (or worse, inside). The only downside I saw is that it has a couple of plastic interlocks to make it hard to unscrew the cap, or to activate the valve. I suspect both can be defeated easily. The cap interlock is easy to cut off for sure.

Doug White

Reply to
Doug White

The problem is if a bit of water gets in the bottom the rust can wreak havoc. Might not be an issue anymore with the 10% ethanol gas.

Reply to
ATP*

I thought it made the problem worse. Those tank sealants for old fuel tanks would seem to be awesome for a jerry can.

Wes

Reply to
Wes

They makes some that have a squeeze trigger that pulls off a spring loaded cap. Real nice to get it right over the funnel, then squeeze the trigger. So easy a woman could do it. A good metal funnel is the lynchpin. I have a

5 gallon metal can like that for my welder, but they make them in smaller varieties.

Ya gets what ya pays for.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

I thought the ethanol worked like dri-gas, not leaving as much water on the bottom.

Reply to
ATP*