Supplies in Huoston

Just getting started in metalworking. Orderd a Taig and parts. Looking for a place in Houston where I can get metal and supplies. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Reply to
James Holbrook

In the yellow pages, try metal, steel, welding.

Call some local company that does the kind of work you want to do, and ask them who their supplier is. I did that when I got started, and still use the same steel supplier recommended to me years ago.

Richard

James Holbrook wrote:

Reply to
Richard Ferguson

Look up Metal Supermarkets. They sell just about anything and they'll cut it to order with no minimum. Right across the street is a Wholesale Tool store too. It's out near 290 and Hollister on Hempstead.

Robert

Reply to
Siggy

You're in luck. The is an home metal shop club in your area that should provide a lot of help:

Terry Mayhugh

Arshram Scrap Metal will let you poke around in their junk pile and will sell you stuff. What you find at any given moment is largely a matter of luck. They get stainless bars, aluminium plate and bars, a bottomless pit of transmission parts (good place to find metric bolts), wire...often still on the factory roll and unused, cutoffs from machine shops etc. If you go in looking for a 1.25 inch stainless rod, you will never find one. If you go in looking for useful looking pieces of scrap that might be used in a project someday, you will spend $5 everytime you go. And eventually, you might get lucky and find the 1.25 inch stainless rod...maybe...

Arshram is near the intersection of 290 and 529 (Spencer road), which is close to the intersection of Sam Houston and 290.

Brownnsharp

Reply to
brownnsharp

Just wanted to thank everyone for the replies. I've mapped out several places and am going to hit them on Tuesday.

Thanks aga> Just getting started in metalworking. Orderd a Taig and parts.

Reply to
Jack P. Flash