Moving a 20' shipping container 20 feet by hand

I need to move a 20' shipping container about 20' lenthways if that makes sense. Is it feasable to move it using 2" rollers and 5' pry bars? Have any of you ever tried? Am I crazy to try this? I have moved things of similar weight before but never something so large. Any suggestions would be most apprecated.

Stuart

Reply to
Stuart Pearson

Soft ground?

Harold

Reply to
Harold and Susan Vordos

Moving it from an asphalt driveway onto a concrete slab of an old garage.

Stuart

Reply to
Stuart Pearson

Empty or full?

If empty, once the rollers are under it, it should be easy if the surface is hard, and hard if the surface is soft !

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

Container will be empty, moving it over asphalt and concrete. Stuart

Reply to
Stuart Pearson

I moved a 60' packing line this way. The idea started with the Egyptians and huge stones for the pyramids, worked for them, should work for you.

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

messagenews:cERii.36168$ snipped-for-privacy@newsreading01.news.tds.net...

To protect the asphalt use some one-bys or two-bys to roll on and be careful if you have any downward pitch to travel. With smooth rollers and a smooth surface to roll on the container could get away from you pretty quickly.

And watch out for those fingers. They can get caught beneath larger rollers in a flash.

dennis in nca

Reply to
rigger

Moving "BIG" stuff like that needs a bit of planning. Youll need some means of jacking it up, like a foot jack . you may nede to put this in a hole so you can get the foot under a corner. jack up till you can get say a 6in block of wood under the corner. Repeat with the other 3 corners. then get your rollers under neath ,if possibe on some steel box section. Re jack up , remove blocks so container is lowered on the rollers. Have more rollers ready to put in front. Have a go at barring the container forward. if it moves youll be ok. If not get abn extra pair of hands to add leverage. Have extra box section ready to put infront of the container.

when in place jack up, remove rollers and box section and put on your timber blocks. You might just want to move it again. Ive moved heavy generators over 2 tons this way, using 2in water pipe rollers and angle iron laid on the gravel of my drive. Let us know how you get on.

Reply to
Ted Frater

While I think your pry bar should be about a foot longer, I also think a pry bar will be a really tedious way to move the thing. My first thought is using an all-wheel-drive vehicle to tow it; secondly, a winch or a comealong, eg devices like

?Itemnumber=30329 Do you have a floor jack or other low-profile jack to lift the container when putting rollers under or taking them out?

How many rollers do you plan to use? Is the surface flat?

When my neighbor moved a storage building, he temporarily took apart his chain link fence to use the posts as rollers.

Reply to
James Waldby

It is not possible to get a 4x4 to the other side to tow it in but I do have a Tifor winch and I guess I could rig a ground anchor to pull against but as the container is not that heavy I was hoping not to have to bother, I have a toe jack which should do the trick when it comes to lifting it. As for the roller I have about 12 and was intending to have about half under the container at any one time. The surface is flat and level apart from a sight fall to aid drainage.

Stuart

Reply to
Stuart Pearson

=============== With a little luck and a down hill pull you may not even need rollers if the container is empty.

I would try sloshing a few buckets of strong soap [not detergent] solution solution [used water soluable coolant?] under the container and using a come-along, possibly attached to a trailer hitch on your truck or car.

If you can put a few holes in the container, mount a 2 X 6 across the end to attach the come-along to.

"The tare mass of containers may vary due to the different construction techniques and materials used in the container. A

20' x 8.5' dry cargo container may weigh 1,800 kgs. to 2,400 kgs.," click on
Good luck and let the group know what worked.
Reply to
F. George McDuffee

Actually, it sounds like great fun and I don't think it will be hard to accomplish. Others have given you good advice, so I won't bother to repeat it.

Please return with your war story when you get the job done.

Vaughn

Reply to
Vaughn Simon

And take pictures if possible

Reply to
Brent

"Stuart Pearson" wrote in news:468be253$0$647$ snipped-for-privacy@news.aaisp.net.uk:

I'd substitute the pry bar for the bumper of my truck, and I would tie it off to the truck so it can't get away.

Reply to
Anthony

Empty..or full? Empty it should be doable.

Gunner

Gunner

That's a piece of cake unless you're worrying about scuffing up the asphalt/concrete. Jack it up, slide some pieces of pipe under and slide it around with a lever, and call it a day. Make sure the the asphalt isn't soft (from the sun) and no stones that'll hinder movement.

Reply to
rustyjames

Karl, Karl, wrong, wrong, wrong! Have you NEVER read Erick von Dänikin? It's quite obvious that the Egyptians had extra-terrestrial help in the form of anti-gravity devices - which is what the OP should Google for. When checking for "anti-gravity devices" also try "Israelites". :-) VBG

Mike in BC

Reply to
Michael Gray

I was planing on emptying it first.

Reply to
Stuart Pearson

Also consult Rev. Farakan for Black Flying Carpets.

Gunner

Gunner

On Wed, 4 Jul 2007 19:29:33 +0100, with neither quill nor qualm, "Stuart Pearson" quickly quoth:

The asphalt would probably get torn up by the pry bars, but it's probably doable. 2" rollers likely wouldn't work very well on asphalt, though. See below.

I'd call a tow truck and have them dolly it up there. Prolly take an hour to lift one end, put it on the dolly, lift the other end, back 'er up, and drop both ends. Find a local guy who's not busy and he'll likely charge you fewer Pounds Sterling.

That's if it's empty. If it's full, you're in for a bit more trouble and cash.

- Metaphors Be With You -

Reply to
Larry Jaques