Key cutter/Benchmaster MH2 question answered

Thanks to Jim Wilkins, I have been able to identify the mysterious "key cutter".

It is the third pic, on the site Jim pointed out.

according to the handyman who stopped by the other day, all the bearings seem to be very sound.

now for my original question:

is there any value in this machine?

there are two options:

one, i get to get my first machine for a soon to be budding metal shop, as i have most of the wood tools i need.

two, i help the widow sell it.

if the value is too high, then selling is my option.

i'll be posting pics soon.

Cus

Id be interested in swapping for it.

Gunner

Gunner Asch

If it's the same as the third picture referenced, it' sjust a standard Benchmaster horizontal milling machne with the overarm support fitted (it's removeble). It's a very nice, if small and simple, horizontal milling machine. It's as good as any other in it's size and weight range, though it lacks refinements like power feed and backgear.

Beware that many of these were used in light production settings, as 'second operation' machines, and had rack and pinion feeds. Such are not nearly as useful for most home shop purposes.

The same basic machien ws offered as a vertical mill, and it was about a half hour job to convert from Hor. to Vert. if you had ALL the parts.

I have one bought as a vertical, and since converted to a horizontal with a mix of Benchmaster and self-made parts. It's only shortcomming as a vertical is the lack of a quill downfeed. While that can be a bother, it's really not terribly limiting in what you can do with it. I converted mine to a horizontal simply because I got a larger and better vertical mill.

Dan Mitchell ============

Dan Mitchell ============

Dan Mitchell ============

Reply to
Daniel A. Mitchell

I have a horizontal Benchmaster similar to the second one pictured. It came with a ram for the X axis, which I replaced with a lead screw somewhat like those of the Y & Z axes. Some years ago, ('98?) I uploaded to the drop box some scans of a brochure I received from the guy out in the PRK who claimed to support the machine. He apparently had no stock of parts, made them as ordered and his prices were about what you'd expect for set up and cutting one part. I called him to talk about what I needed for the X axis. Surly and hostile are mild, maybe he'd just had a fight w/ his SO, although I've heard similar reports from others.

Anyway, the Benchmaster is a lot better made and sturdier than the average import mill/drill, although I miss a quill feed. I've seen pix of a Benchmaster with a Bridgeport M head on it, seemed a bit top heavy!

David

David

Reply to
David R. Birch

I had a friend do the M-head on the Benchmaster, er, Benchport, uh, Bridgemaster, well whatever. Made a great small mill with 3 movable axis and a quill. Top heavy, a bit, but it did increase the spindle-to-bed clearance. On another one, another friend added an Emco Meier gear head mill head to it. Much smaller, less weight, just as versatile. He also made a power feed for it. The Benchmaster is a great little mill that can be easily made better. Respectfully, Ron Moore

Reply to
Ron Moore

If anyone wants one..Ive a decent enough Burke horizontal production miller, bench top of course, that I can bring to the show this coming weekend in Visalia. Its got a 3ph motor on it..easily enough changed out. Needs paint, but everything seems to work well enough.

Lever action in two axis.

Gunner

Gunner Asch

well, Gunner, unfortunately i'm on the east coast, so probably not cost effective.......

Road trip! Bring a trailer. Id love to see my back yard again.

Gunner

Gunner

i'd love to help you see your backyard again

i could use some new toys, but that would also require me to have space to put them

someday soon..........