Benchmaster milling machine

Can anyone help me with information on a benchmaster milling machine. I found one that is $350.00. I found some information on the lathes.co.uk sight. Any help would be great, thnak you.

Reply to
Wayne Makowicki

--Don't know about any specific variations, but I used to have one; it was a dandy. Make sure, when you buy it, that it has both horizontal and vertical milling tackle.

Reply to
steamer

The Benchmaster is a fine, if simple, little bench milling machine. It is no longer manufactured as far as I know. It was last made in the late

1980's (I bought some parts for mine). Somebody had purchased the remaining tooling and parts, and was selling off what was left ... at VERY high (ridiculous) prices. At the time they still had a few complete mills left, and wanted more for them than a new Bridgeport clone. Ridiculous.

The Benchmaster came as both a vertical and horizontal machine .. or a 'convertible' with all the parts to assemble either version. I bought a used Benchmaster vertical in the 1970's. It served me well, but I needed a larger machine. I bought a larger A1S size vertical mill. I then converted the Benchmaster to a horizontal I already has SOME of the horizontal parts that came with the used machine. I purchased a few more, and made the rest. It still serves me well in it's horizontal form.

There's not much wrong with the Benchmaster for it's size. It's main limitation in the vertical form is the lack of a quill downfeed. For drilling and such you need to raise the knee. That's a little clumsy, but completely workable.

It's a bit larger than the popular little Atlas mills, but without the added features like power feed and backgears on the Atlas. The Benchmaster is VERY basic, direct drive (just a step pulley), but robust for it's size.

If the price is right, and $350 seems reasonable if the condition is even decent, it's a good purchase, either vertical or horizontal.

Dan Mitchell ==========

Wayne Makowicki wrote:

Reply to
Daniel A. Mitchell

Wayne, There's a Yahoo group for the benchmaster. Go to:

Lots of experts there.

Reply to
Bif