old car question

A man stopped by my shop just now with a distributor for a '49 Chevy, the bushing are worn he wants me to make some new ones. Anyone know how to take it apart? I can't figure it out. Any tips from those who have done this? Thanks in advance,

Kent

Reply to
K Frazier

turnitdown

My '68 Mustang had a shear pin holing the gear on. Don't ask how I knew it was a shear pin (:

Reply to
Jim Stewart

Or a roll pin through the gear.

This was as standard repair at one time, new oilite bushings in the housing. Of course, those distributors also used to come standard with an oil cup or grease fittings.

Jim

jim rozen

I bet you could find new bushings for it if you Google around a little... you'd be amazed what you can find...

Erik

Reply to
Erik

Like maybe this one... don't know anything about this site, other than Google came up with it searching on 'distributor bushings'

Good Luck!

Erik

Reply to
Erik

Here is the shop manual:

Hope it works, section 12-35

Reply to
bzzzt

Yours sheared off too, huh? :) Take Care, James Lerch

(My telescope construction, Testing, and Coating site)

Press on: nothing in the world can take the place of perseverance. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. Calvin Coolidge

Reply to
James Lerch

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Guys, It never ceases to amaze me. A source for parts and a manual. Thanks to all that responded! Regards to all,

Kent

Reply to
Kent Frazier

"Tom Gardner" wrote: What's the dif. between a sheer pin and a shear pin? (clip) ^^^^^^^^^^^^^ A shear pin is a pin designed to act as a mechanical "fuze," limiting the amount of torque. A sheer pin is a safety pin or straight pin used to attach layers of very thin silk or other fabric which you can see through. It could also be a pin that you can see through.

Reply to
Leo Lichtman