Online Sources for Powder (coatings)

Once again, I must come to the well of collective knowledge. :-)

I would appreciate referrals to sites that offer powder, for powder coating. I just bought a gun and intend to do a little coating soon, but I don't know of any suppliers to purchase the powder from.

Alternatively, if anyone knows of suppliers in the DFW area it would be MUCH appreciated.

Thanks again, in advance,

John P.

Reply to
John P.

Through the internet and catalog sales you can get any of the powder coatings from "eastwood"...tools too. I would hazard a guess at

or google is your friend. just an old guy.

Reply to
granpaw

snip

There's

(expensive),
, and
to name a few. I've bought from Eastwood and Columbia. Can't speak for Pendry. Caswell site has nice forums. Also, probably others on ebay, and you could try Google.

Gary Brady Austin, TX

Gary Brady

Sherwin Williams Industrial stores can get you their powders in 50 pound boxes. Morton Powders will sell to non industrial coaters. Ferro will sell to non industrials BUT your limited to 200 pound drums. Many places will also sell you "Sample batches" of powder for you to base a larger order for. Ferro, and Morton use 10 pound samples of common colors and 5 pound cans of the high end colors.

What do you have as a booth and oven? What brand of gun?

Reply to
Steve W.

I've used

with excellent results, so I'd second Gary's suggestion.

Take Care, James Lerch

(My telescope construction, Testing, and Coating site)
(My 15Kw generator project) Press on: nothing in the world can take the place of perseverance. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. Calvin Coolidge

Reply to
James Lerch

Harbor Freight carriers 4 colors in 8oz cans. Black , white, red, and yellow. About $10 a can.

Jim Vrzal Holiday,Fl.

Reply to
Mawdeeb

Well, I should start by saying that I have a guy that has done all of my powder coating for me. He is quite good and that is all he does.

Having said that, sometimes I have small things that it would make sense if I just did them myself... so, I just purchased the new Sears powder coating gun

and was planning on an infrared heater. I must say that the one at Columbia Coatings
very nice.

As far as a booth is concerned, I don't have one. Was planning on just shooting it in my garage and using some sort of a drop cloth to provide a backdrop and then vacuum up the remnants.

Again, if I get anything substantial to do I'll take it to my pro. But hopefully no one sees any issues with me doing small, non-complex stuff at home in my garage?

Thanks,

John P.

Reply to
John P.

> and was planning on an infrared heater. I must say that the one at

Not a problem except you will lose a lot of powder into the air. Make sure there are no open flames or sparks, powder in the air can ignite like fuel or many other dusts. Spent 12 years doing powder and liquid and have seen powder ignite twice. Once out of the gun (acted like a flame thrower) and once when a reclaim flashed (blew the filters off and knocked the guy out of the booth). I would knock together a small booth (or cheat and find an older tub/surround and use it) just to keep the powder out of the air. Plus if you wipe the walls down with a dry cloth before you coat the parts you can then wipe the extra powder down and reuse it. Infrared is Ok but you have to keep turning the part to ensure even curing of the powder.

Keep in mind that there are two things that make a good powder coat. The item MUST be VERY clean, sandblasting prior to coating is best unless it has thin metal that will warp. The temperature for curing must be kept VERY stable or the powder will damage easily.

Reply to
Steve W.