beginner's kit

hi

i'm quite new to lockpicking and am at the moment looking for a starter's kit to buy. now, i am not a total rookie, as i have already read a lot of theoretical information and am very skilled with my hands.

i have the following 2 questions:

1) from the following two kits, which one would you advice? i don't want to buy a new new set each few months, but then again, does the more expensive one really offer so much more?
am deliberately looking for european standards] if anyone knows a cheaper place to get one of these, i'd appreciate you telling me.

2) i have also heared a lot of positive reactions on bump keys and tomahawks. i know how to make these myself, but are they available online?

thanks in advance pygmalion

Reply to
pygmalion
1.I'd get the smaller set.Chances are after using them a while, You will have a couple of them that you will grab right off the bat-alot of the others will be in the way most of the time.

If you have'nt already, take a look at SouthOrd.I still have some I bought off of them years ago-worked and still work great. Having a set of good files and some sandpaper helps too.

2.Yes-just type "bumpkeys" into google-It'll come up.

goma.

Reply to
goma865

Get the biggest set made. Even if you have to mortage your house and car. You never know which pick is going to work, and so you have to get em all. Sure, we sell bump keys right here on this group. Just post your home adress, and credit card number, expiration and the code on the back in the signature strip. We'll take care of you real good.

Now, if you think real actual locksmiths are going to teach you picking, then go buy lottery tickets for Powerball. You'd have better chances at the lottery.

21 years a real locksmith, and no, I don't teach picking.
Reply to
Stormin Mormon

set doesn't have or need that many...

g'luck

Reply to
Key

Small kit should be fine. All you need are a couple half diamonds, couple hooks, a few tension wrenches and a ball for fragile wafer locks. If you can't pick with those you won't be able to with the biggest set there is.

Reply to
Steve

Who you gonna believe? All beginners buy the biggest set they can get on their credit card. 200 picks minimum

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

thanks for all the reactions!

@goma865: i understand you're linking to

they offer quite a lot, could you please specify which products you'd advice? concerning bump keys, i have found the following sites. now, they don't look that professional. are they to be trusted and are their products as effective as they claim to be? also, are they for european standards as well?
@Stormin Mormon: i'm sorry, but i don't really trust it to post my creditcard information here. plus, why get the biggest one at first, if i could get a regular one and order some extras if i need them afterwards? i didn't really get the locksmith comment in the context but i'll consider the mortgaging ;)

@Steve: is there a particular 'set' you'd advice?

Reply to
pygmalion

"Stormin Mormon" <cayoung61-&spamblock*-@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:3z0bh.16195$ snipped-for-privacy@twister.nyroc.rr.com...

so true :-)

Reply to
Key

Well, I am not really "advising" per se, but I believe I purchased the

8-piece set (MPXS-08). At least that is what I can recollect as it was years ago. I remember it did not take long for delivery...and I still use the picks-I think one broke. Then later I bought another small set-can't remember where. Then there were some freebies that were kinda nice.

As for buying bump keys on the internet, I could not tell you because I don't buy them online.

goma.

Reply to
goma865

Reply to
pygmalion

Reply to
pygmalion

Reply to
pygmalion

Well, you need the secret squirrel handshake. And the code word I've learned many years ago. But, sure, go out and ask a few locksmiths and let us know what you find out.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I wouldn't cut anyone a bump key. Either the guy can cut his own, or he isn't worth my time.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

You aren't going to find many so called professional suppliers of bump keys. Nobody in the locksmithing trade buys them. If I want a bump key for a given lock I just cut it on a 20¢ blank. As far as "trusted" you are dealing with people selling something no questions asked that likely as not will be used a burglar tool. How trustworthy do you want them to be?

Reply to
Steve

I wouldn't cut you a bump key unless I knew you well and you had a legitimate need and I don't know anybody else who would either.

Reply to
Steve

Just get a small pick set and practice a lot with it. You will quickly find out that most commonly available locks are crap. Bump keys will only serve to further convince you of this.

Reply to
Tim Mathews