Bending Flat on edge

Hi ,
I am building a steel boat and I am wanting to bbend the stringers and later
the deck and cabin frames.
Most people seem to use a hydralic jack and a frane to bend the flats on
edger.
Id like to make up a three wheel bender and was wondering if anyone here has
any drawing or plans or such like.Powered would be great but I have seen one
that is hand cranked.(see link)

Many thanks
Neil Currey
Amateurs built the Ark
Professionals built the Titanic
Reply to
Neil Currey
I take it you are running the stringers sideways, perpendicular to the keel, so basically you want to curve angle iron? That's the way the old fishing boats in the NW fleet are made. When we had to repair them, we used a powered 3-wheel bender. That gets you a curved skeleton. To bend the shell plate over it, you weld one edge and pull on the other with chainfalls, bending it around. It's a little tricky to explain.
Suggest you go to a local boatyard and watch some shipfitters.
Grant Erwin
Neil Currey wrote:
Reply to
Grant Erwin
Grant, I am using 1 1/2" x1/4" flat as stringers and it is a powered 3 wheel roller I am looking for . I have seen and used one but here in New Zealand the 2nd hand one I looed at was $2000 so I for a one off project I dont want to buy one .I can make it if anyone knows of any plans I can get.
Neil C
Reply to
Neil Currey
Check out Ernie's roller in the dropbox:
Scroll down to the files roller.txt and rollerxx.jpg.
"I'm not grown up enough to be so old!"
Reply to
Keith Marshall
Neil -
Hossfeld and DiAcro benders could do that, by hand. See Hossfeld at
are edgebending pictures at
There's a picture article on it at
might help, too.
DiAcro as a company is gone, but there is a successor, who's name I can't remember. As usual, "try a web search."
Doug
Reply to
DougVL
Also, see
a picture of
Bending Flat Stock Edgeways
Bend Edgeways with Edgebend Die used with outbend master die, wrist pin and inner radius block. Size of inner radius block determines radius of bend. Capacity 3/8" x 1-3/4" cold. Bends flat edgeways from 4" inside radius and up to any degree including 360 degree circles. Same setup used for bending hand rail capping edgeways. (figure 11).
Reply to
DougVL