Bending Flat on edge

Hi , I am building a steel boat and I am wanting to bbend the stringers and later the deck and cabin frames. Most people seem to use a hydralic jack and a frane to bend the flats on edger. Id like to make up a three wheel bender and was wondering if anyone here has any drawing or plans or such like.Powered would be great but I have seen one that is hand cranked.(see link)

Many thanks Neil Currey Amateurs built the Ark Professionals built the Titanic

Reply to
Neil Currey

I take it you are running the stringers sideways, perpendicular to the keel, so basically you want to curve angle iron? That's the way the old fishing boats in the NW fleet are made. When we had to repair them, we used a powered 3-wheel bender. That gets you a curved skeleton. To bend the shell plate over it, you weld one edge and pull on the other with chainfalls, bending it around. It's a little tricky to explain.

Suggest you go to a local boatyard and watch some shipfitters.

Grant Erw> Hi ,

Reply to
Grant Erwin

Grant, I am using 1 1/2" x1/4" flat as stringers and it is a powered 3 wheel roller I am looking for . I have seen and used one but here in New Zealand the 2nd hand one I looed at was $2000 so I for a one off project I dont want to buy one .I can make it if anyone knows of any plans I can get.

Reply to
Neil Currey

Check out Ernie's roller in the dropbox:

Scroll down to the files roller.txt and rollerxx.jpg.

"I'm not grown up enough to be so old!"

Reply to
Keith Marshall

Neil -

Hossfeld and DiAcro benders could do that, by hand. See Hossfeld at

are edgebending pictures at
There's a picture article on it at
might help, too.

DiAcro as a company is gone, but there is a successor, who's name I can't remember. As usual, "try a web search."

Doug

Reply to
DougVL

Also, see

a picture of

Bending Flat Stock Edgeways

Bend Edgeways with Edgebend Die used with outbend master die, wrist pin and inner radius block. Size of inner radius block determines radius of bend. Capacity 3/8" x 1-3/4" cold. Bends flat edgeways from 4" inside radius and up to any degree including 360 degree circles. Same setup used for bending hand rail capping edgeways. (figure 11).

Reply to
DougVL