Fair price for an acetylene tank

What should I expect to pay for a used B acetylene bottle? I see them on ebay for $80 including shipping. McMaster gets $128.

I found one nearby - the guy says make an offer. What's reasonable?

Reply to
Ned Simmons

offer half of ebay price unless you really really want it, in which case offer 2/3

Reply to
William Noble

"Ned Simmons" wrote: (clip) What should I expect to pay for a used B acetylene bottle? (clip) ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ First, there is no distinction between a new and used bottle. They all get recycled. Make sure the bottle has not passed the date for retesting. Talk to the welding supply store and see what their practice is on exchanging "customer owned" cylinders. Is it full, partially full or empty? Refilling costs money. If everything falls into place, I'd probably offer him about $50--sounds like he wants to sell it.

Reply to
Leo Lichtman

Ned:

I bought cylinders just a week or so ago from Advantage in Portland. Acetylene "B" (40 cu ft) was $89.88, oxygen "J" (60 cu ft) was $124.88. Those prices are for used tanks, empty. The eBay cylinders are a bit cheaper, but not by a huge amount.

I checked at Tractor Supply Co. in Scarborough. They get a lot more for their tanks, which they call Thoroughbred. You can swap yours for theirs, but there is a $19 fee for "upgrading" to Thoroughbred. Their tanks and gases are through Maine Oxy, who I think are less expensive but still more than Advantage.

I don't think there will be any ownership questions with a "B" tank, but you'd still want to be sure the hydro is current and that there would be no condition concerns. I've seen "B" tanks offered in private sales for $50 - $75 or so, with regulator and plumber's torch included.

By the way, Tractor Supply have a $20 hand truck with pneumatic tires that makes a decent tank cart.

John Martin

Reply to
John Martin

Be careful when buying used tanks. If they have the collar stamp of the supplier, when you take it in for filling, they will thank you and confiscate and keep it.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

Well....sometimes, and it depends on the fiiller.

Least in the West.

Gunner

Reply to
Gunner

Thanks to all the responders. I saw the tank too late to check with the local gas dealers and I just happened to be going thru the seller's town early the next morning, so the info was useful in deciding *not* to buy the tank. Someone else had offered $75; I told him he better take the other guy's offer.

As was mentioned in one of the replies, if I needed the tank now, rather than a bargain on something I might need in 6 months, I would have grabbed it. $75 is less than $90 (John's local knowledge).

Re the issue of ownership on MC bottles, I've never heard of a problem in this area trading MCs anyplace, including some of the plumbing suppliers and large hardware stores.

Reply to
Ned Simmons