Daveyfire Clone Kit?

Hello all,

A question for the group... There is a gentleman by the user name CDMA77 that's been selling a Daveyfire clone kit on the ROL auction. Has anyone tried this out? How well do they work? What all is involved in making them? Are the bridge wires already soldered to the chips, or will I have to get some acid flux and solder the nichrome myself?

Sure, I could contact the guys that's selling the kit, but I'd like an independent opinion from someone that has used the product...

Thanks,

James L. Marino SAS, LUNAR, TCC, AEROPAC, NAR #75764 L3 TRA #9489 L3

(@ @)

---o00-(_)-00o--- Will Work for AP

Reply to
James L. Marino

Greetings James,

While I have not tried this clone kit, I do make my own matches. I used this tutorial:

nichrome is a good choice to make matches, I prefer using copel wire from FireFox. It solders far easier than nichrome and does not require acid flux.

HTH

Regards, Mark Daughtry, SR

Reply to
Mark Daughtry, SR

Thanks, Mark. Looks like the way to go. Have to do something. The price of e-matches has gone through the roof.

James

Reply to
James L. Marino

Huh? I can buy them cheaper today than I could two years ago.

Dean

Reply to
Nobody

I used to get them for $.75 each, now they're $1.50 in quantity. Some dealers want two bucks each. What are you paying for them?

James

Reply to
James L. Marino

The price you pay depends upon the quantity. I buy in bulk, several hundred at a time.

There are several igniters that are equivalent to the Daveyfire N28B. I've not found a replacement for the Daveyfire N28F. The "B" burned for

0.001 to 0.002 seconds (1-2 ms). The "F" burned for about 40 ms.

The "B" was usually used for parachute deployment charge ignition. The "F" was usually used as the initial ignition means for motor ignition of a multiple stage igniter.

The Chinese igniters are going for about 40 to 50 cents each. Others are available for 60-80 cents, depending on the wire length. The last Daveyfire N28Bs I was able to get cost about 80 cents each.

If you buy igniters one or two at a time from a local dealer then you can expect to pay around $1.50.

If you mailorder them, the cost of hazmat shipping can double the cost of a small order.

Dean

Reply to
Nobody

I know some people feel this is an un-important distinction, but you're talking about e-matches but you are calling them igniters.

Reply to
David

Electric match ("ematch") is a subset of electrical igniters. It is a subset of electrical, pyrotechnic igniter. It is an electrical, low current, pyrotechnic igniter.

An ematch is an igniter, but all igniters are not ematches.

Dean

Reply to
Dean

In what context? In rocketry, an igniter is the term usually used to indicate something that can generate enough heat mass to ignite an APCP high-power rocket motor. Most e-matches cannot do this reliably without added pyrogen. E-matches are generally considered low-current, and igniters may be low-current or high-current.

Reply to
David