Aluminum Motor Retainer

I just fashioned a really simple yet strong motor retainer out of an aluminum screen door clip. Is this wise? Will this material stand up to
the heat/flame generated from the motor?
--
Bill Wehner
TRA #08913 L2

Or make the equivalent from a piece of brass sheet stock that you can get at most hobby stores. It's soft enough to cut with tin snips, and you can bend it with pliars.
I used to use the aluminum screen clips you mention, but after a failure, I switched to fashioning my own clips from hobby brass strips. I'm happy with them. Avoid the aluminum screen clips. -- Richard "been there" Hickok
Bill
In my opinion the aluminum units are too brittle and may fail in particular if there is a strong ejection charge.
The Steel mirror Z clips on 8x32 or 10x32 stand offs are stronger and cheaper than the aluminum.. they do need replacing from time to time but a 69 cents for 4 not a big deal..... I use 4 , I HATE to loose HW.........
I have a pic of a rocket set up with these... I can send it to you if you like.......
Bobby B www.hangar11.com

At one launch, I found I didn't have clips for a RMS case, they had all been bent for single use motors (with wraps of 3/4" masking tape). My clips are made from picture hangers (1/8-1/2" wide) which are very difficult to bend. So in a pinch, I used spent igniter wire to wrap around the two screws and over the motor. Worked like a champ.
Joel. phx

Brass picture wire also works well, and is available is several guages. It works great as a spur-of-the-moment retainer, or as a planned retainer for odd or difficult situation (like a motor adapter that sticks out a long ways).
bobbyb wrote: ...I HATE to lose HW......... I hate when my cranium FINDS it... :-)
Bill,
The screen door clips are much too thin. I make my own, similar to the clips to which you refer... I use 12 gauge aluminum strips. Clamped and bent with a pair of Visegrip locking pliers. You can see an example of my work on page 53 of Mark Canepa's Modern High Power Rocketry. Install tee-nuts inside the lower centering ring, and bend the clips. Then hold the clips in place, and mark them for the screw holes. Drill them, and you have very reliable motor retention. I have yet to lose a motor, even when using very energetic ejection charges.
James L. Marino SAS, SARG, LUNAR, TCC, AEROPAC, NAR #75764 L2 TRA #9489 L2 AMA #761674
"Ban light pollution, not rocket motors."

How did the tape fail? Taping to knurling?
Jerry
Thanks all. For the record, I've almost always used brass strips and have never had a problem. Based on your collective comments, I think I'll stick with it. I've successfully used mirror clips also, but they tend to corrode real fast.
--
Bill Wehner
TRA #08913 L2