GWiz LC 800 Deluxe question

Hi there,

I'm plan on using the said GWiz for my Level 3 attempt in September. The documentaion says it will not function properly when Pyro channel 1 (staging/clustering) is not armed. As I will not use staged/clustered engines (and couldn't even if I wanted to), how do I turn it off?

Thanks,

Tom

-- Atheism is a non-prophet organization.

Reply to
Tom Engelhardt

No need to turn it off. I have eight G-Wiz flight computers, and only three of them use the pyro 1 channel. The others have no connection to the P1 output, and it has no effect on the operation.

James L. Marino SAS, SARG, LUNAR, TCC, AEROPAC, NAR #75764 L2 TRA #9489 L2 AMA #761674

"Ban light pollution, not rocket motors."

Reply to
James L. Marino

Tom,

I used my G-Wiz LC Deluxe twice last weekend at METRA. The first flight used all three pyro channels in a 2-stage rocket, but the second flight was a simple mile-high flight of my PML Ariel on a J460T. Pyro channels 2 and 3 (dual deployment) functioned nominally even with nothing connected to pyro channel 1 (staging).

You shouldn't have any problem unless they've changed the G-Wiz since I bought mine. If in doubt, test fly it in a smaller rocket without using pyro 1, and use motor ejection as a backup for apogee deployment just in case.

Jay

Reply to
Jay Calvert

Thanks everyone for your answers!

I figured you could leave the channel open, but I wasn't sure at all. Hearing you all flew your LC's without anything connected to Ch 1and they performed flawlessly helped a lot.

Cheers,

Tom

Tom Engelhardt schrieb:

-- Atheism is a non-prophet organization.

Reply to
Tom Engelhardt

But Tom...that is where your outboards are supposed to be wired. Don't underutilize your Gwiz like that!

Reply to
Kurt Kesler

Kurt Kesler schrieb:

Kurt, it won't be underutilized long...so little time, so many rockets to build :-). For my L3, it will have to be content with just throwing the laundry out.

Tom

-- Atheism is a non-prophet organization.

Reply to
Tom Engelhardt

When you get around to using it, channel 1 on the Gwiz works really well. Set for cluster we have used it to light up to 3 L outboards and they were cooking well before the rocket left the rod. Staging mode works well for airstarts with just the right amount of delay between main burnout and outboard ignition (for visual effect...not performance. I am a knob, after all ;-) .

Reply to
Kurt Kesler

Kurt Kesler schrieb:

Right, I forgot - silly RMR argument N°.42: Whether coloured flame motors are cool or not. :-)

Cheers,

Tom "I like Green Gorilla and Blue Baboon" Engelhardt