Re: AMW Hardware

If you have a Slimline and want to use the AMW harware you can do the following:

  1. Grind a very small amount of the outer diameter of the AMW retainer ring so it will slip into the Slimline.

  1. Once the motor has been inserted into the Slimline retainer the Slimline retainer ring won't fit. Place the motor in the Slimline and drill holes from the outside of the Slimline so that you can insert set screws that will sit just on top of the AWM retainer ring. This will hold the motor in place. We used 6 screws. Looks nice too if you get some nice hex head screws.

A few of the club members are flying the AMW loads & have noticed the same. > Aeropak retainer are now made to fit . > > > JD > > > > > No thrust ring , it is sold separately. > > > It's kind of like a slinky that is stretched out & seated into a > > > grove on the aft end of the motor. > > > They are great motors! > > > > This may not affect you, but for anyone who is not aware of the > > ramifications of switching from AT to AMW - > > > > If your design employs a "slimline" retainer or tailcone ( > >
), the diameter of > > the AMW motor thrust ring is just a tad too large to fit (it's a larger > > diameter than an AT rear closure). > > > > I discovered this last year at LDRS when my 4" X 90" scratchbuilt, in > which > > I had installed a 98-54mm tailcone, met my newly purchased AMW 54-1750 > > hardware for the first time. There was no suitable 54mm AT hardware > > available at the time, and AMW gave me a good price on the hardware and > > reload. But when I went to test fit the hardware - oops! Luckily the good > > fellas at Rocket Silo/Gates brothers helped me grind down the outer edge a > > bit till it fit - there was still plenty of meat there, we only took off a > > few thousandths. > > > > I also had to employ a short length of 54mm fiberglass tube to take up the > > clearance between the aft surface of the thrust ring and the retaining > ring > > of the slimline tailcone. This was probably not really necessary, but I > > wanted to ensure that the motor did not gravitate aft on the pad, with > > potentially disastous sledgehammer results on ignition. The threaded > > slimline may not have this second issue, since the threaded retainer can > be > > tightened securely on a range of thicknesses of thrust rings. The > tailcomes > > are not yet available threaded. :-( > > > > It would be nice if all the various rocket motor manufacturers > standardized > > on one set of dimensions for such things. While I'm dreaming, it would > also > > be nice if the gummint would get out of the rocket propellant regulation > > business. :-) :-) > > > > -- > > --------------- > > SeeYa ! > > -------------- > > Hello....... Is this thing on ? > > > > > > > >
Reply to
Chad L. Ellis