FFT- Removal of J-B Weld?

Hello folks,

How does one go about removing J-B Weld from a Slimline Tailcone retainer? I'd like to reuse it, but I need to get that stuff out of there...

Thanks,

Reply to
James L. Marino

I've used a Dremel to remove J-B Weld from Aeropack retainers. Start with a sanding drum and finish with a wire brush.

Reply to
Alex Mericas

Same thing I did on a 38mm slimline adapter and it worked perfect. I also used it to remove some of the plastic in the tail cone of my PML BBX so I could insert a slimline retainer. With the flush fit, you can't even tell there is any motor retention installed.

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew Grippo

Where are people finding J-B Weld? Before I resort to mail order, I've been trying to find it locally, and none of the usual suspect chain stores carry it. Any suggestions?

Reply to
Gary

I get mine at Home Depot. I always find it in small tube quantities in the check out line.

Ted Novak TRA#5512 IEAS#75

Reply to
nedtovak

I get mine at AutoZone

Reply to
Andrew Grippo

I found it in my local hobby shop, near the tools (instead of the adhesives, don't know why). My local hardware store carries it, but again, not near the normal 'adhesives'. If you've got a local hardware store, go in and ask!

David Erbas-White

Gary wrote:

Reply to
David Erbas-White

Pep Boys, Home Depot, etc.

Reply to
Dave Grayvis

Tractor Supply Ace or True Value Hardware stores NAPA Auto Parts Other auto parts - O'Reilly, Advance, AutoZone

All of these would seem to be good candidates that are pretty much nationwide in scope. TSC has a web site that may tell you if they carry it, don't know about the others.

Reply to
Mark Johnson

Found mine at the automotive section of a Wal-Mart in Canton, Illinois. If I can find it at Wally's World out in forgottenonia good chance you can find it locally.

Kurt Savegnago

Reply to
Kurt

Canadian tire

Reply to
Mike

Alex Mericas wrote in news:424bf964 snipped-for-privacy@news1.prserv.net:

I suggest beginning with a carbide carving burr and then a sanding sleeve on the Dremel drum,then the wire brush.

The carving burrs come in all sorts of sizes and shapes,last far longer than a sanding sleeve.Those structured carbide burrs really cut,come in fine and coarse grades.If they gum up,just use a propane torch to burn off the crud.(don't overheat.)

Reply to
Jim Yanik

"Gary" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:

Most auto parts stores. HD and Lowes.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

Thanks Alex. Worked like a charm. Wasted my little wire brush, but a wire brush is a couple of bucks, a new tailcone is like forty bucks. At least the damn thing fits the new tube now...

James

Reply to
James L. Marino

Reply to