Lil Man Missile Pics

Some pics on alt.Binaries.models.rockets Needs final prepping and a paint job!

Reply to
CJC

Date - 01/04/2005

Time - 6:00pm to 6:15pm

Location - COOINDA Mandalong

Cloud Cover - Nil / Clear

Temp - 21 deg.C

Winds - Nil / Very Light South Westerly

Notes - Lil Man Missile First Flight.

Flight tests conducted without Alt15K/WD Altimeter.

Late in the afternoon. Light levels falling. Only had time for 2 flights.

Flight # 1 (Maiden) - Loaded with an Estes A8-3. Launch rod angled about 5deg. to ensure safe landing in cleared area. Launch was perfect.

Straight flight with no zig-zaging or weather cocking. Cleared the tops of the trees and kept climbing. Deployment shortly after apogee. Chute fully opened.

Successfull recovery. Great maiden flight to approx 100 / 150ft.

Note: Chute had a minor pin hole burn thru. Still safe enough to use.

Flight # 2 - Loaded with an Estes C6-7. Igniter fired and blew out of the nozzel. No ignition.

Note: Used an A8 plug instead of C6. Had no C6 plugs available. A8 plug did not fit all the way into throat / nozzle.

Removed C6 and replaced with an A8-3.

Launch rod angled about 5deg. to ensure safe landing in cleared area. Launch was perfect. Very straight flight.

Cleared the tops of the trees and kept climbing. Reached apogee and started to fall.............and fall...........Did not think the ejection charge was going to

fire. Much to my relief it did and the chute fully deployed. Successfull recovery.

Great flight to approx 100/150ft.

Design Note : With the first two flights being successfull I have already made 2 minor design changes for future builds.

#1 - The Aft Airframe / Recovery Bay needs to be approximately 6mm longer.

This will provide alittle more room to fit the recovery gear. Works well but it's a tight fit!!!

To keep the same length I'll reduce the payload bay by 6mm.

#2 - I'll increase the Kevlar recovery line length an extra 2 - 3ft ???.

Deployment is a little harsh with a length of 6ft.

Reply to
CJC

Date - 02/04/2005

Time - 12:00pm to 12:10pm

Location - COOINDA Mandalong Site # 2

Cloud Cover - Nil / Clear

Temp - 26 deg.C

Winds - Slight North Easter

Notes - Lil Man

Flight test conducted with Alt15K/WD Altimeter installed.

Flight # 1 - Loaded with an Estes A8-3. Launch rod angled less than 5deg.

Launch was good. Slight zig-zaging off rod then resumed stable flight.

Almost reached the tops of the trees. Deployment after apogee. Chute fully

opened. Successful recovery. Flight less than 100ft.

Note: Altimeter did not register flight. Extra nose weight for D flights to much for A's with

the altimeter installed.

Flight # 2 - Loaded with an Estes C6-7. Launch rod angled about 5deg. Launch was good. Slight zig-zaging off rod

then resumed stable flight. Cleared the tops of the trees and weather cocked slightly. Kept climbing.

Reached apogee and chute fully deployed. Landed at top of 25m tree some

300-350ft away. Can hear

altimeter beeping away. Shame about the recovery. Altimeter reading - 636ft Not as high as I was hoping.

Note: No brainer. Higher altitude needs larger cleared are for safe recovery. Have recovered from tree. Used tractor to shake it good baby!!!

Lil Man # Flights this launch -

A8-3 / 1

C6-7 / 1

Lil Man Total # Flights -

A8-3 / 3

C6-7 / 1

Design Note : Have another weighted Nose Cone for use with smaller motors.

Reply to
CJC

Note: Further examination revealed part of the chute to be melted together along a straight line. No burn marks so I think it was friction burn from the Kevlar.

Reply to
CJC

Recovery from tree has damaged payload bay. Large branch broke off and catapulted LM into the ground. No damage to altimeter. Have some repairs to make....... :-(

Reply to
CJC

Payload bay has been scraped. New one needed. Tube was squashed and split around the spirals. Tried to fix by using wood glue. Coated the inside and outside surfaces. Sanded smooth. Tube was still to weak and failed under load. Salvaged Nose Cone, Nose Cone screws, Kevlar recovery line, Bulkhead and eye screw attachment.

Reply to
CJC