Project Rimfire

Last year I started a project I named 'Rimfire' and it's going to be the tallest

Model Rocket I've built in a lont time. The last one this tall or taller was a superroc I

built for NARAM XX and it would have taken superroc if the FSI E engine had not

burned through the side of it's casing and distroyed the end of the rocket. So I've

slowly been building this one, so far the top part of the rocket is some 84 inchs tall.

I would have had the rest of it done, but this trailer I live in had major leaking roof

troubles during all the S.Cal. rain storms, then the water heater failed and while

changing that I got bit by a Black Widow spider and the next 30 days had me

recoving from that and the high gas bill last month kept me from being able to send

off an order for the parts I need to build the lower "Power" section, which should add

at lest another 18inch overall to it.

But I have two little things I must figure out:

  1. Which engine to use. I had at first figured to to use the Estes E9 for a nice slow

liftoff and good flight. Only I've been told this would not be good if the rocket was

over 6oz. Right now the rocket comes in at about that much My next idea was still to

use the E9 but add something like 2 A3T's to give it a bit more push for liftoff. I have

also looked at using an Estes D12, I would think it would have enough punch to get

it up off the gound. Any ideas? I could rig a mount to take my FSI F7 and something

like an A8 on either side.

  1. Recovery: I didn't think about this to much before, it wasn't until I had built the top

section that I saw I hadn't planed for that part of the flight. So I figure I can do one of

3 ways to recover the top, run a line from the top nosecone to the base and have a chute

deploy and the top hang under it. OR make a short line with chute and have top hang

down upside down. OR afix a line from top nosecone to bottom screw eye and have a

2nd line afixed in the middle with chute on it so it comes down level. I'm thinking due

to size the shortline with chute would be best. The power section will have it's own chute.

So what do you think?

This bird will be flown this summer here at SIAR-HQ on a good windless day.

Reply to
Starlord