need a new news server

Anyone else notice that news.individual.net (the old cis.dfn.de) is now charging for their service? Are there any other news servers that are free, other than Google? I can access it with my local isp's server, but it doesn't get all the messages.

Thanks, David

Reply to
David Logan

You may be able to find misconfigured servers out there that allow you to post for free, but news.cis.dfn.de aka news.individual.net was the only one that actually *deliberately* provided free NNTP service, as far as I know.

I feel that their new rates are very reasonable (only 10 euros/year), and their service has always been reliable, so I went ahead and signed up. So far, it works just fine, and my account was reactivated

*immediately* upon finishing the payment process. Good enough for me!

- Rick "willing to pay for good service" Dickinson

Reply to
Rick Dickinson

david: yes I noticed the same thing so I am now forced now to use the insightbb news server, although I also use the google news as a backup.....

shockie B)

Reply to
shockwaveriderz

snip

The net news servers have all been screwy for a while now and some of the ones that charge, are worse than the free ones. I wish I could recommend a good one but there isn't much difference from what I've seen. Pay for crappy service or get crappy service for free.

The best news service I ever had was through AT& T and it was free, but it was also dial up.

Randy

Reply to
<randyolb

This server is free. No binaries, but hey, it's free.

news.flugmodellbau.de

Reply to
J.A. Michel