Bummer- new dejanews (google) format

My ISP cannot do a very good job of accessing newsgroups, so for some time I have used dejanews. I knew it was bought out by google, but it remained useful.

Now, however, Google has changed the format, and it is now horrible. It looks now like a google search result, rather than the normal usenet titles, which you select if you want to read the message.

Short of signing with a new ISP, does anyone have an idea on how I can continue to remain part of the group?

Reply to
Don Stauffer in Minneapolis

Hi Don, I use Teranews and have found them to be very good. Go to

There is a one off fee of a couple of bucks but that is all I have found them to be very good Hope this helps Steve

England

Reply to
yellowwolf

I have to agree with you there. When it was still in beta I told them as much,but obviously, they don't give a damn.

Guess I'll have to spend some time with it to grab whatever archived articles I really want, and then wave goodbye.

Rob

Reply to
rob_van_riel

use a real newsreader. configure with your name , password and server. get groups, subscribe and off you go.

I think he *would* use a newsreader if he could (in fact, his headers indicate he did use one to post via his ISP), but it's not practical if you can't give it the address of a good server. He said his ISP's news server "cannot do a very good job".

Don, if you're willing to spend a bit more money, you could keep your current ISP and subscribe to a "premium" news server for around $10/month. This site compares a bunch of options:

At least one service on that list also offers free access with limited bandwidth, after a one-time signup fee.

There are other free servers with no signup fees. I found a list of free servers at , but most of the servers listed only let you read, not post. At any rate, free servers usually aren't as good as the typical ISP's news server.

Reply to
Wayne C. Morris

i thought the reader was the problem. good freebie servers are teranews and bubbanews.

I first noticed this today too. It's kind of weird, I visit r.m.s. periodically during the day and I seem to be getting both formats at random on each visit. As I'm writing this, I'm using the "old" format.

Martin

Reply to
Martin

It was in the new Beta Format when I was on here this morning, but now (at 14:30 CST), it's back to the old format. Yeah!

Don McIntyre Clarksville, TN

Reply to
Don McIntyre

i use easynews, cuz i also want binaries. 10 bucks for 10 gigs

BCNU jack

jack

I didn't like the new interface either. You can bypass the beta and return to the old version by plugging in this bookmark.

just enter rec.models.scale in the newsgroup box, leave the search fields blank, and hit return.

Sat

Reply to
Saturn S. Padua

One good one is

but it's text only.

Reply to
Al Superczynski

Don, if you'd like to "buy local", there's Octanews

based in Minneapolis.

Reply to
Kevin Kokal

Maybe I was crying wolf (unintentionally). Today the dejanews format is back to its old style. However, I am keeping these other suggestions, in case this happens again.

Reply to
Don Stauffer in Minneapolis

dan, give google feedback. save your fave!